Chapter 11: Sustaining Biodiversity: The Species Approach
15th Edition, Page 222
Identify the following. Be as specific as possible, and include names, dates, and relevant facts as
appropriate. Be sure to explain the significance of the term.
Core Case Study: Passenger Pigeon
-Why did they die?
-What can we learn from this?
-Do you see this happening with any other species? If yes, which ones and why?
1) 3 types of extinction
2) Endangered vs threatened species
3) Difficulties in measuring endangered species
4) IUCN-Red List
5) WWF (not wrestling)
6) What are humans doing to cause extinction?
Importance of Wild Species
7) Value of wild species
8) Why should we care about bats?
9) Biophilia: Do you Have it?
Habitat Loss, Degradation, and Fragmentation
10) HIPPO Again
11) Endemic species
12) Habitat Fragmentation
13) Habitat Island
14) National Audubon Society
15) Ivory Billed Woodpecker
16) Kudzu vine
17) Deliberately vs Accidental Introduction
18) Argentinean fire ant
19) Everglades and the python
20) How to reduce threats from Invasive species
Population Growth, Pollution, and Climate Change
21) Population Growth and its Effects on Species
22) Same above but for Pollution
23) Same above but for Climate Change
24) Illegal wildlife smuggling
25) Killing Species we Don’t Like
26) Trade in wild species
27) Bushmeat in Africa
Protecting Wild Species
30) US ESA
31) Private Landowners vs Endangered Species
32) Wildlife Refuges
33) Gene Banks