Copyright Violation Procedures for IT Services Helpdesk
Copyright violations are handled as follows:
Notice comes in VIA (Security@ou.edu, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or any
Candace Mayes (firstname.lastname@example.org or 325-4409) is notified of copyright violation.
She then sends a letter of response to complaining organization (see attached
example letter – Copyright Response_1 (RIAA)
Security enters into the incident database all the appropriate information and a
special note for second, third, forth, etc. violation.
Candace Mayes, Curtis Corcoran or Abhishek Bhardwaj attempt to notify user of first
violation and subsequent violations in a reasonable amount of time. They also notify
the appropriate NetAdmin, FSO, or Student Affairs Office (for students only) (We are
working on automating this as much as possible)
IT Security disables machine
1. User calls Service Center complaining about network access
2. Service Center Call Center looks up customer information in the security database
http://network.ou.edu/security. The HD staff can look up a computer’s MAC address
(computer physical address) to see if it is blocked. That is all that can be done here.
3. Service Center collects all user information and puts it into Attenza. Candace Mayes,
Curtis Corcoran or Abhishek Bhardwaj are notified of case and check the incident
database for first time or subsequent violation, as well as update case with customer
4. Candace Mayes, Curtis Corcoran or Abhishek Bhardwaj contacts customer and gives
them their incident number. For the first violation, user must contact Jan Murphy with
Legal Counsel, 2 floor Evans Hall. For subsequent violations the user will be
contacted by their department or Student Affairs Office.
5. Jan Murphy will have them sign the “Affirmation of Compliance” form that is attached.
(see attached Office of Compliance Indemnification Letter)
6. Once the paper is signed then Jan will notify email@example.com.
7. The machine will then be reactivated after security receives notification from Legal
Counsel on first violation. Student Affairs Office or departmental authority handle all
8. Calvin Weeks picks up signed Affirmation of Compliance forms on a regular basis.
Note: Other actions or procedures may be performed by each department not listed in this
*Suggestion: When call center receives call concerning copyright violation, have customer speak
directly to Candace Mayes, Curtis Corcoran or Abhishek Bhardwaj; so as to avoid having to call