Unit: Computer Networks and Data communication
List Of Tasks:
1. Compare the following Transmission media with
a. Coaxial cable and Optical Fiber
b. Terrestrial link and satellite
2. What is PCM. What are PAM pulses?
3. What are the three electrical measurable characteristics of sine wave can be used as
symbol? Which modulation type is used for each symbol type? Explain in brief
4. How are satellite communications unique from other media? Give reasons.
5. Sketch the waveforms having data format types for the data 1101110010
6. A television screen is composed of a grid of 525 lines by 700 columns. A pixel can be
black or white (1 or 0). Thirty complete screens are scanned in one second. What is the
theoretical bandwidth required.
7. What do you mean by QAM. Explain with phaser and constellation diagram.
8. Calculate the channel capacity of a channel, which has a bandwidth of 10 MHz and a dB
value of 80.
9. What is the advantage in connecting the outer conductor of a coaxial cable to ground
10. Explain the step index and graded index fibers. Also sketch the light path in each case.
11. Why should PCM be preferable to DM for encoding analog signals that represent digital
12. Sketch the waveforms having data format types for the data 1001101011
13. What are the main advantage and drawback of PSK compared with FSK modulation.
14. State the advantages of Optical fibers