HOREA SCHOOL, ROMANIA
• SILVIA TINICA – HEAD
• ERIKA TARKANY - DEPUTY
• AGATHA SIRBU - PROJECT
• CRISTINA PARLEA – SCHOOL
FACULTY, SCHOOL CONTACT
CHALLENGE 2020 PARTNERS
• HOREA SCHOOL
• ST. ANDREW’S EPICOPAL SCHOOL
RIDGELAND, MS, U.S.A.
• PAISA AKHBAR GIRLS HIGH SCHOOL
• Our schools have decided to choose and
tackle together one of the 20 global
problems mentioned in
J.F. RISCHARDS’ s book,
HIGH NOON, 20 GLOBAL PROBLEMS, 20
YEARS TO SOLVE THEM.
Romania, a country in the south-
east of Europe
Cluj-Napoca, a city in the north-
west of Romania, Transylvania
This is a picture of our school, with
the statue of historical figure Horea
in front of it.
THIS THE ROMANIAN CHALLENGE 20/20 TEAM
HOREA SCHOOL, CLUJ-NAPOCA, ROMANIA
1. Hi! My name is Nadia Al-Sagban I’m a student in the 7th grade and I am 13
years old. I like listening to music and surfing the net.
2. Hi! My name is Bal Marilena.I am a student in the 7th grade. I like watching
TV and painting.
3. Hey! My name is Bihari Andrei. I am a student in the 7th grade. I’m 13 years
old and I like math,playing football and the computers.
4. Hi! My name is Craciun Paul. I am 13 years old and I’m a student in the 7th
form. I like football very much.
5. Hey! My name is Campean Simona. I am a student in the 7th grade. I enjoy
listening to music,painting and reading.
6. Hello there! I am Larisa Moldovan. I’m really excited about our project
7. Hello! My name is Horon Bianca, I’m a student in the 7th form. I am 13 years
old. I like dancing, playing on the computer and listening to music.
8. Hello folks! My name is Margina Bogdan but you can tell me B-MAN or Mel. I
am 13 years old and I’m a student in the 7th grade. My hobby is playing
9. Hello! My name is Timeea Mora. I am 13 years old. I’m a student in
the 7th form. I love painting, dancing and singing.
10. Hello! My name is Paula Suciu. I’m a student in the 7th grade. I’m
14 years old. I like surfing the net
11. Hello! My name is Razvan Duma. I am 13 years old. I am a student
in the 7th form and I am very excited about this project.
12. Hi! My name is Carmen Parauan.I am 13 years old. I am a student
in the 7th grade. I like music !
13. Hi! I’m Timea Racz. I’m a student in the 7th grade. I like listening to
music and watching TV.
14. HIIIIIIIII! My name is Paul Kis. I am 13 years old. I am a student in
the 7th grade. I love rollerskating.
15. Hello! My name is Alexandra Radu. I am 14 years old and I am in
the 7th form.I like reading and listening to music.
16. Hello! My name is Groza Paul. I am a student in the 7th grade, I am
13 years old and I like football.
17. Hey! My name is Vescan Stefan. I’m 13 years old and I am a
student in the 7th grade. I like playing football and watching TV.
18. Hello! My name is Diana Sigarteu. I am 14 years old and I am a
student in the 7th form.I like painting and singing.
19. Hey! My name is Donose Raul. I’m a student in the 7th grade. I am
13 years old and I like playing on the computer.
20. Hi! My name is Marcu Darius. I am 13 years old and I am a student
in the 7th grade. I love playing football!!!!!
21. HI! My name is Puscas Bianca. I am 13 years old and I am a
student in the 7th form.I like listening to music and watching TV.
22. Hi! My name is Pop Andrei-Dan. I am a student in the 7th grade. I
am 13 years old and I like playing football and hanging out with my
23. Hello! My name is Stoica Oliviu Ionut. You can tell me Johnny. I`m
a student in 7th form. I`m 13 years old. My hobbys are computers
and listening to music.
24. Hi! My name is Katona Arpad. I’m 13 years old. I’m a student in the
7th grade. I love music (ROCK).
25. Hey there! Wusssuup?? My name is Sulici Andrei. I’m a student in
the 7th form and I REALLY like computers and surfing the net.
26. Hi! My name is Lugigan Flavia. I like listening to music and
drawing, very much. I am 13 years old and I’m in the 7th grade.
• 27. Hello! My name is Rus Paul. I’m 13 years old and I’m in the 7th
grade. Ilove listening to music and playing on the computer.
• 28. Hello,Hello! My name is Dan Tudor.I am a student in the 7th
form.I like playing football and the computers,too.
• 29. Hi! My name is Radu Dobre! I’m a student in the 8th form and
I’m 15 years old.I like football very much and listening to music!
• 30. Hello! My name’s Rus Claudiu! I’m a student in the 8th form and
I’m 14 years old.I like football and listening to music! I also like
playing on the computer.
• 31. Hi there! My name is Mircean Georgiana, I’m a student in the 8th
form and I’m 14 years old.I like painting!
• 32. Helloo! My name is Golban Ruxi and I’m 15 years old. I’m a
student in the 8th form.I like music, I like to play different sports too.
• 33. Hello! My name is Rad Madalina and I’m 14 years old. I’m a
student in the 8th form.I like music, especially rock and I like sports
• 34. Hi! My name is Stefan Paul and I’m 14 years old. I’m a student in
the 8th form.I like listening to music and playing the guitar.
• 35.Hello this is Pol Andrei Bogdan and I’m 14 years old. I’m a
student in the 8th form. My hobbies are playing on the computer,
watching tv and listening to music.
And we are:
CRISTINA PARLEA and AGATHA SIRBU,
their English teachers, the coordinators of
the Challenge 20/20 project.
SILVIA TINICA, HEAD OF THE SCHOOL
WE ARE ALL VERY HAPPY TO BE YOUR
PARTNERS IN THIS PROJECT!
A lecture on Natural Disasters
23rd November 2006
• Nicoleta Brisan, lecturer PhD from the
Faculty of Environmental Sciences
had a session of communication
concerning causes and effects of
Natural Disasters, from a professional’s
point of view.
A lecture on different types of risks
23rd November 2006
Mr. DOBRE , from the Inspectorate for
Emergency Situations, Cluj-Napoca,
discussed with the children different types
• Natural: fires, earthquakes, floods,
• Biological: epidemics
• Industrial: pollution
PROJECTS OF THE CHILDREN
• The children were divided
into small work groups and
they worked together to
produce the following
• Duma Razvan
• Donose Raul
• Margina Bogdan
• Vescan Stefan
• Kis Paul
• Marcu Darius
• Pop Andrei
• Rus Paul
• Stoica Ionut
• Bal Marilena
• Moldovan Larisa
• Mora Timea
• Sigarteu Diana
• Suciu Paula
• Al-Sagban Nadia
• Cimpian Simona
• Horon Oana
• Lugigan Flavia
• Puscas Bianca
• Racz Timea
• Radu Alexandra
• Bihari Andrei
• Dan Tudor
• Groza Paul
• Katona Arpad
• Sulici Andrei
• Cristoltean Bianca
• Cristoltean Diana
• Neamt Teodora
• Rad Madalina
• Stirbe Roxana
• Mircean Georgiana
• Pop Elena
• Rus Oana
• Salagean Vladimir
• Coroiu Bogdan
• Deaj Marian
• Pol Bogdan
• Stefan Paul
• Voda Stefan
• GROUP MEMBERS:
• Chis George
• Dobre Radu
• Goga Eusebiu
• Pop Sorin
• Rus Claudiu
• Golban Ruxandra
• Mic Flavia
• Rus Luminita
• Vadana Lorena
• ON THE CORRIDORS OF OUR SCHOOL
THERE IS A POSTER GALLERY
HERE ARE A FEW IMPRESSIONS OF THE
TEACHERS INVOLVED IN THIS
What Benefits I see from this projects?
For the students: talking about themes of interest for their
age and develop sensitivity for suffering-suffering of the
others. Also, working in teams for small projects they
develop interpersonal skills
For the teachers: develop cooperation between them and
abilities for partnership in the community.
For the school: a sense of being a part of the world that
transcend the border of our school, our country and
Europe, a responsible part for finding solution to the
problems that affect global society.
We are glad to have a chance of being part of the
communication network about .world problems:
awareness about consequences of our behavior.
Head of Horea School, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
This project seemed to be very interesting from the very
beginning for both for pupils and for teachers.
Our planet and the environment has suffered a lot of
changes and destructions during the ages. Everybody
heard about natural disasters, but we weren’t really
interested in them. Working in this project is a good
opportunity to learn more about them, to teach children
how to avoid them or to try to protect the environment
and the people as well, and to see what is really going
on during an earthquake or a flood..
The children really enjoyed the courses about disasters
and how to avoid them.
The group work on these subjects make them think about
these problems and find out more and more information,
and why not a solution in the future!
AGATHA SIRBU, copartner of the project, Horea
As the faculty of the program I was deeply implied in working with
it. It was a challenge for me and I see it first as a personal gain,
acquiring and developing my abilities in working within a
partnership, enlarging my communicative skills as a team
coordinator with students and my colleagues.
As far as the topic of the program, we have tackled Natural
It is very important for us to become aware of the problems that
are peeping on us at every step in our lives and to be prepared
to handle them in the most appropriate and quickest way
It’s a great opportunity for me, my students and my colleagues to
work together and to enlarge our perspective from a personal
egocentric point of view towards a panoramic worldwide more
charitable one.. my problem should become our problems and
we should never be alone while dealing with natural disasters
that occur in our lives.
It’s great getting out of the stereotypes of the learning process,
and combining interesting, important, valuable and useful
together in one session.
CRISTINA PARLEA, school faculty, contact person, Horea School,
HERE ARE ALL THE
TESTIMONIALS THAT WE
COULD GATHER FROM OUR
• This project is useful for me and for my classmates
because it is very important because things, which we
have learnt, were very interesting and useful. The
activities, which we have seen, were very useful and we
have learnt how to prevent the natural disasters.
Horon Bianca 7th grade
• I think that working in this project it is a good occasion to
improve our knowledge of English but also to know how
to make a safe life on Earth.
In this project I liked the fires project because I worked in
We are partners with other schools which are placed in
Pakistan and USA so you can know where there are
often natural hazards, too.
Stoica Ionut 7th grade
• I think that working in the project is a good think
because we are working with the kids from Pakistan,
which are interested in this subject. This Challenge helps
us to know many new things about the natural disasters.
Al-Sagban Nadia 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is interesting. It is
an exciting project and I love it. The contents of this is
useful for our knowledge.
Bihari Andrei 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is funny and it is a
problem which we have to solve. The people have many
problems and many difficulties. We are young and we
can solve the difficulties. We are very impressed by this
Duma Razvan 7th grade
• I think that working in this project helps me to know more
about the natural disasters and how to prevent them. It is
great because we work with kids from other countries.
Radu Alexandra 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is useful for our
knowledge and maybe it will be useful for our planet,
too. Challenge 2020 is a good project for all its
members. All the problems in this project are important
and I think we should solve them all.
Sulici Andrei 7th grade
• I think that working in this project it’s good thing
because it’s developing our capacity of working in a
team. It is also good for improving our knowledge about
important things. Finally it is an opportunity to show how
wonderful our school and its students are. I like this
project very much.
Pop Andrei 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is very interesting,
there are a lot of interesting things to learn. I like it very
much we have to know all this things to prevent more
Lugigan Flavia 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is extremely useful
and all information and our work makes many people
I like very much to work in the Challenge 2020 project
because I love nature .
Moldovan Larisa 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is learning new
things, it is funny and I can help many people.
Vescan Stefan 7th grade
• I think that working at this project is interesting and I think it’s
very nice to help people with this project 2020. In this project
we have to prevent people of what might happen. In this project
we have the opportunity to help this world, and I think that is
Parauan Carmen 7th grade
• I think that working in the project it is very important for
me. I like the project because I learnt a lot of information about
my country and about the 20 global problems. I want to
continue this project because I learn a lot of English and I can
help my country to prevent these problems or to solve these
Mora Timeea 7th grade
• I think that work in this project is very interesting useful
for us. We can learn a lot of things which we can use every day.
This disasters are happening very often. Working in this
project gives us the opportunity to learn how to prevent and
reduce the natural disasters.
Puscas Bianca 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is useful because we
can learn about different natural disasters and how we
can prevent them. Also I learn how to work in a group. I
enjoyed working at this project because it is relaxing and
Rus Paul 7th grade
• I think that woring in this project is a good thing
because we learn new things. I would like to talk about
the earthquakes more than we done because i`m very
interesting in them. I think it`s a very important thing to
know how to protect ourselves from natural disasters.
Racz Timeea 7th grade
• I think this project is very useful to the world and to
us, because we learn a lot of new things. I enjoyed it a
Kis Paul 7th grade
• I think that working in this project is very interesting and I
discovered many new things. This project is helping us to
prevent the disasters that happen every day. It was a very nice
experience. I want more projects like this, because they are
very interesting, as nature is very important.
Suciu Paula 7th grade
• I think it’s a nice experience and I’ve learned lots of stuff
about what should I do when there is a natural disaster. It’s
also a nice way to make new friends and see how would other
students make the projects on this theme.
Mircean Georgiana 8th grade
• We all live in a beautiful world but sometimes disasters
appear. This project teach the pupils how to avoid disasters
and how to act in case of a disaster. It also helps us to socialize
and learn many things about other countries. By showing the
pupils how to prevent them, we hope that in the future fewer
casualties will be recorded.
Pol Bogdan 8th grade
• This project was something special for us because it contains
some things that can save our lives when a danger comes. This
project is made by people, pupils and teachers. We talked
about floods, forest fire, explosions, earthquakes, landslides
and we presented this natural disaster with seriousity and
interest. It was something great for us and for the teachers
because we found out many important things that can save our
life in danger. We made a connection with other students from
different countries and we talked about this projects and we
were very happy to talk with them on this theme. I’m happy that
I was part of this project because it was an important
experience for me and for my class mates, and our life will be
safer then before, after we learnt new important things.
Dobre Radu 8th grade
• It is very interesting to work and talk with people from
other countries about disasters which happen all over the
world. If something happens around you, you have to now how
to act and to find out more new things about natural disasters
and how to survive them.
Golban Ruxandra 8th grade
GREAT JOB EVERYONE!
WE WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS OUR
N.A.I.S. and Ms. IOANA SUCIU
for offering us the opportunity to join and
work in this program!