Chapter One and Two Test Review
1. What are the characteristics that all living things share?
2. Which is the most abundant chemical found in living cells?
3. A change in an organism's surroundings that causes it to react is called…
4. A plant growing toward light is an example of…
5. The mistaken idea that living things arise from nonliving sources is known as…
6. The experiments of Redi and Pasteur helped to demonstrate that…
7. The source of energy for most autotrophs is…
8. Which of the following do all living things need to survive?
9. Homeostasis refers to…
10. The invention of the microscope made it possible for people to discover and learn about…
11. Which of the following statements is part of the cell theory?
12. What are the three parts of the cell theory?
13. What is the total magnification of a microscope with two lenses when one lens has a magnification of 15,
and the other lens has a magnification of 30?
14. What is the function of a cell wall?
15. What is the function of a cell membrane?
16. Chromatin in the nucleus of a cell…
17. Which organelles produce most of the energy needed by a cell?
18. Which organelles produce proteins in the cell?
19. Which organelles release chemicals that break down large food particles into smaller ones?
20. How does a bacterial cell differ from a plant or animal cell?
21. Which organelles found in plant and animal cells are also found in bacterial cells?
22. Many-celled organisms have cells that are…
23. All organic compounds contain the element…
24. Sugar molecules can combine to form large molecules called…
25. Which term refers to proteins that speed up chemical reactions in living things?
26. DNA and RNA are…
27. Why is water important for a cell?
28. What does water do for a cell?
29. Which term refers to the movement of molecules from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower
30. Which term refers to the movement of water molecules through a selectively permeable membrane?
31. Which term refers to the movement of materials through a cell membrane without using energy?
32. Which term refers to the movement of materials through a cell membrane when energy is required?
33. What are the products of photosynthesis?
34. What captures energy from sunlight during photosynthesis?
35. What happens during photosynthesis?
36. What product of photosynthesis do most living things need to survive?
37. How does photosynthesis benefit heterotrophs?
38. What happens during respiration?
39. Respiration in most cells requires…
40. How are photosynthesis and respiration related?
41. Respiration and photosynthesis keep the levels of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the atmosphere…
42. Which term refers to the production of energy by a cell without using oxygen?
43. Which of these choices causes a form of alcoholic fermentation?
44. What causes lactic-acid fermentation?
45. Mitosis is the stage during which…
46. What are chromatids?
47. What forms around the chromatids during mitosis?
48. What happens during cytokinesis in animal cells?
49. Each rung of the DNA ladder is made of what chemical?
50. During DNA replication, adenine (A) always pairs with…