Docstoc

Core sand casting experim

Document Sample
Core sand casting experim Powered By Docstoc
					Core sand casting experiment

Following the HUGE success of our introduction Sand casting tutorials on YouTube
(100,000 Views) recommended viewing prior to viewing the core casting videos -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKPdMosBHQ&feature=channel_video_title

The team at Camberwell spent the day experimenting with core making.

Parts 1 – Download below –in this video (12.40) Philip White at Camberwell college of
art prepares the cope and talks about the core casting experiments. VIEW HERE -
http://process.arts.ac.uk/content/core-sand-casting-experiment-part-1 -

Part 2 - Download below – In this video (7.04) Philip White & Bill Grealish describe the
making of the core mould using a metal tube about an inch in diameter cut in half
lengthways, and filled with a solid sand mixture. VIEW HERE -
http://process.arts.ac.uk/content/core-sand-casting-experiment-part-2

Part 3 - Download below - In this video (7.04) - VIEW HERE -
http://process.arts.ac.uk/content/core-sand-casting-experiment-part-3

Core casting overview

Creating an aluminum tube using the sand casting process:

Here are some details of the ingredients of the cores that we made but they're still in the
experimental stage for us.The core mould was a metal tube about an inch in diameter cut
in half lengthways,care been taken to get it exactly in half otherwise the core would stick
as you saw. For the oil cores I used a mixture of silica sand and fine sharp sand, about
50% of each.To this mixture was added 3% of boiled linseed oil and then well mixed plus
a small amount of water, just to slightly dampen it and make it more usable. This mix
was quite soft and difficult to get out of the mould without breaking, so I added about
50% green sand which seemed to work OK. The resulting cores should then be baked to
harden or in this case put on a metal plate on top of the furnace after a pour had taken
place. As the cores were cylindrical, after about half an hour I moved the cores along the
metal plate to distribute the heat more evenly, as the furnace was cooling down. They
were then left on the cooling furnace until the next day. As for the cores that were
hardened by CO2, again a mixture of silica sand 60% and fine sharp sand 40%, to this
was added about 3% of sodium silicate, which was quite difficult to mix in, plus a small
amount of water to make it usable. (In later experiment I added water to the sodium
silicate to add to the sand but this produced a core that was quite hard and difficult to get
out of the metal casting. Possibly due to a higher amount of sodium silicate and water?
More experimentation needed here.) The core mix was then compacted in the core mould
with a vent made by a wire through the middle to aid in the dispersion of the CO2 and
gases during the metal pour. CO2 was then introduced into the core mix while it was still
in the mould and left for a few minutes to harden before removal from the mould. This is
just a quick run-down of events, I hope it is of some use. "Whilst the foundry was
historically a sculpture resource,for the past four years it has opperated independently
from the subject and is considered to be a part of the colleges 3D resource and so under
the current structure neither Bill nor myself are subject based. Before I introduced sand
casting the interest in foundry processes and mould making had fallen away,particularly
where the sculpture course was concerned. Now we are very active and have a far wider
appeal accross subjects and level .i.e FE, UG, MA." Philip White

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:15
posted:3/28/2012
language:
pages:2