Need To Replace Your Lost Or Outdated Green Card

Document Sample
Need To Replace Your Lost Or Outdated Green Card Powered By Docstoc
					Need To Replace Your Lost Or Outdated
Green Card?

A Green Card, also known as a Permanent Resident Card, is one of the most important proofs for
an immigrant that verifies their status as a permanent resident. It is also serves a valid form of
identification that allows one to live and work in the United States. Although some of the older
issued Green Cards have no expiration dates, the newer Permanent Resident Cards (Form I-551)
are valid for 10 years. If you have been granted conditional permanent residency, the card is
valid for 2 years. Due to its importance as a form of ID for a permanent resident, it is important
that you keep your Green Card up-to-date. Because remember, without a valid Green Card, your
ability to travel outside the United Sates, or even work here, is compromised.

Well, how do you know if you need to replace your Green Card?

Most importantly, you need to replace your Green Card if your card is about to expire. This does
not apply to you if you are a conditional permanent resident whose green card is about to expire,
but more on that later;

If your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, then you need to replace it as soon as
possible. If it was stolen or lost, it is important to notify the USCIS and local police as soon as
can because this is a government issued form of identification that in the wrong hands, will make
your life difficult since it is a form of ID theft;

If personal information has legally changed, such as a name due to marriage or divorce, then you
need to replace your current Green Card. If your Green Card has incorrect information because
of an administrative error made by the USCIS, you still need to replace it but you should not be
charged a fee since it was not your fault, as long as you provide proof that it was not your error;

You need to replace your Green Card if you became a permanent resident before you turned 14
years old. You are required by law to replace your card when you become 14 years old;

If you have an older version of a Green Card, such as USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103 or Form
I-151, which has no expiration date, it is to your advantage to replace it was the newer Green
Card version, Form I-551;
Finally, you need to replace your Green Card, if you never received a previously issued one from
the USCIS. Again, in this situation, you need to report this as soon as possible to the USCIS and
your local police department.

How do you go about replacing your Green Card?

If you need to replace your Green Card for any of the reasons listed above, you can do so by
filing a Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. If you are outside the U.S.
and your Green Card was stolen, lost or damaged,then contact the nearest U.S. consulate, USCIS
office or port of entry before attempting to file a Form I-90. Once your Form I-90 application is
approved, you will be mailed a replacement green card with a 10-year expiration date from the
date it is issued.

Now, if yourif you are a conditional resident and your status is about to expire, DO NOT file
Form I-90. If you are a permanent resident who was granted conditional permanent resident
status, you are required to file a petition to remove those conditions within 90 days of your card
expiring by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. If your conditional
status was based on a marriage, you must also file Form I-751.

Remember, your Green Card is an important form of identification, issued by the United States
government that legally proves your permanent residency status. Therefore, it is to your
advantage to keep it current so that you can avoid the hassles that come with letting its status

About the Submitter is a company that provides assistance for any immigration issues. Those
who want to process their Green card, green card renewal, Form I90, Family Based Green Card
application easy and fast online.

Shared By: