Good Listening Habits Name: _______________________
TEST Date: _________ Class: _________
WARNING! On multiple choice answers, there can be more than one correct answer.
Do not guess on multiple choice questions! Guessing is hazardous to your grade! Your score is:
All correct answers, minus all incorrect multiple choice answers you marked as correct.
1. Listening is easy. All you have to do is hear the words.
2. According to the essay, what is a Listening Monitor?
a. Someone who watches for people talking out of turn in class.
b. It's a job you give your own mind, to make sure you are talking loud enough to be heard by everyone.
c. It's a job you give your own mind, to immediately alert you when a teacher or leader is talking.
d. Its a job you give your own mind, to be sure you hear each and every word the teacher says.
3. As given in the essay, which is a very common example of a Listening Monitor at work?
a. You listening for the voice of your parent.
b. A mother hearing her child while the mother is sound asleep.
c. Hearing the siren of an emergency vehicle while you are riding in a car.
d. Hearing someone cry out in pain when they hurt themselves on the playground.
4. Write out in your own words what is meant by using Feedback when you listen.
What do you do, and what should the speaker do? (2 points)
5. Mark all the items that could cause you to misunderstand what is said.
a. The speaker did not express himself well.
b. You were distracted for a short moment.
c. Some noise interfered with hearing a word or part of a word.
d. You confused the word that was said with a different but similar word.
e. You thought the subject was different, and got confused. You "hear" what you expected.
File: listentst.doc Created: 17 Aug '03 by Russ Andrews Updated: TBD Printed: 6:31 PM on 09/21/09 Page 1 of 2
6. According to the essay, making connections between what is said and previous knowledge
or experience is good BECAUSE... (Mark all that are correct.)
a. It will help you understand it
b. It will help you remember it much longer than otherwise.
c. You won't then confuse them.
7. What did the essay say about note taking? Write out ways that taking notes will help you
listen, or things about how to take notes. (2 to 5 points)
File: listentst.doc Created: 17 Aug '03 by Russ Andrews Updated: TBD Printed: 6:31 PM on 09/21/09 Page 2 of 2