By Matheus Oliveira
The Maglev Train History
In the 1960s in Britain Eric Laithwaite
developed a functional maglev train. His
maglev had 1.6 km of track and was in
detail tested. His research was stopped in
1973 because lack of money and his
progress was not enough. In the 1970s,
Germany and Japan also began research
and after some failures both nations
developed mature technologies in the
The Maglev Train
• Maglev is a short for Magnetic Levitation.
• The Maglev Train is one of the
fastest transport media in the
• The maximum speed reached for a
Maglev train has been 581 km\h in
• The Maglev Train uses magnets to
reach a really high velocity.
• It doesn’t touch the floor. It levitates
because the magnets.
How does it work
• A maglev train floats about 10mm above
the guidway on a magnetic field.
• It is propelled by the guidway itself rather than
an onboard engine by changing magnetic fields
• Once the train is pulled into the next section the
magnetism switches so that the train is pulled on
• The Electro-magnets run the length of the
It works like this
Advantages of a maglev Train
• The German Transrapid is about 20 times
safer han airplanes
• 250 times safer than conventional railroads
• 700 times safer than automobile travel
• Speeds up to 500 km/h.
• A accident between two maglev trains is nearly
impossible because the linear induction motors
prevent trains running in opposite directions.
The Maglev Train and Society
• The Scientifics want the Maglev train to be
fast and economical.
• They want it to be something that anyone
• The big problem about this is that the
pieces for the maglev are really expensive
• The procedure to build it up is very
expensive as well
The Maglev Train and Environment
• The Maglev train doesn’t contaminate a lot.
• It doesn’t need any kind of fuel.
• It doesn’t send out any CO2.
The Maglev Train and Politics
• The government has a big relationship
with the Maglev Train.
• It gives the money to the Scientifics so
they research about it.
• The Maglev train researchers use the
government figure for some kind of
The Maglev Train and Culture
• The Maglev Train has helped the people in
some countries to think better about the
travel by train.
• I think it wouldn’t have worked in USA
because it is a bigger country that is
developing and that is focusing now in
other industries. They also have plains
that connect every main city. It is easy to
travel in America.
• Book: The mistery of Magnets