EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE Warwick Students Union

Document Sample
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE Warwick Students Union Powered By Docstoc
					                    EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
                                      MINUTES
Date: 4th November 2009          Time: 5pm               Venue: MR4
________________________________________________________________________________

CIRCULATION
Chris Rossdale, Nidhi Badaya, Alex Fowles, Gareth Williams, Hazel Lim, Sonny Kombo, Puneet
Dhaliwal, Andrew Bradley, Andy Perkins, Sumaiya Khaku, Sami Wannell, Isaac Acquah, Alex
Twiss, James Hall, Elections Group, The Chief Executive, Democratic Services Office, RaW,
Boar, WTV, Union Noticeboard.
Present
Chris Rossdale, Nidhi Badaya, Alex Fowles, Gareth Williams, Hazel Lim, Sonny Kombo, Ty
Beetseh, Andrew Bradley, Andy Perkins, Sumaiya Khaku, Sami Wannell, Isaac Acquah, Alex
Twiss, James Hall
In Attendance
Asen Geshakov, Chris Luck, Jacquie Page, Danielle Johnson


                                                                         Meeting Quorum 10

                           All associated papers are available at:
                     L:\Democracy\Executive (papers)\2009-2010\T1W5


2.1     APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
        Rahul Jain, Puneet Dhaliwal


2.2     MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING of 12th October 2009
        The minutes of the Executive Committee Meeting of 12th October were agreed as a true
        and accurate record of that meeting.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Executive (papers)\2009-2010\T1W5\1-121009m.doc



2.3     MATTERS ARISING NOT APPEARING ELSEWHERE ON THE AGENDA
        None


2.4     NOTIFICATION OF EMERGENCY BUSINESS
        None


EXEC.09/10.2
                                         -1
2.5     OFFICER COMMUNICATION
        Nidhi Badaya – Academic Forum Coordinator
        We have had our first meeting which covered various topics including the student
        pledge and the education strategy.
        Andy Perkins – Governance & Finance Officer
        I have had a busy couple of weeks predominantly focused on the booksale. I have
        attended numerous meetings including Board of Trustees, Board of Directors, Legal
        Status working group and attended a NUS Zone conference.
        Sumaiya Khaku – Education Officer
        I’ve also had a busy couple of weeks with the booksale and SSLC training. Over 400
        SSLC representatives have been appointed. I also attended the AQSC meeting.
        Hazel Lim – Societies Committee Chair
        We have had our first societies committee meeting. We rejected a bid made to the
        societies emergency fund from AEGEE.
        Isaac Acquah – Communications Officer
        I have attended various board meetings along with working on the Bubble, the Boar and
        the upcoming launch of the new building event.
        Sami Wannell – Welfare Officer
        I have been working on black history month, organised a successful GUM clinic and
        attended the welfare committee meeting and NUS conference.
        Alex Twiss – Sports Officer
        I have attended Warwick Sport Board and BUCS meetings along with working on the
        One to Watch highlight reel. I would also like to say thank you to the committee for
        ratifying the changes made to Sports Council at the previous meeting. Following the
        changes Sports Council is working more productively with improved attendance at
        meetings.
        Sonny Kombo – Sports Committee Chair
        We have had two sports committee meetings with members being assigned specific
        roles. The KPMG leagues have started well.
        Andrew Bradley - President
        I have attended the CBI Higher Education Summit, NUS conference and Charities Chair
        training day in London along with numerous meetings including AQSC, CRAG and a
        University student disciplinary panel.
        Alex Fowles – Campaign Forum Coordinator
        We have had our first campaigns forum meeting where we discussed policy which
        needs reviewing, events to be held in Week 7 and 8 and how to implement policy 710.
        We also debated setting up Warwick Hub again to help co-ordinate action and pool
        resources. The discussion is still ongoing.
        Asen Geshakov – Chair of Council
        Union Council training went well with the new members being very enthusiastic. The
        AGM is taking place Monday Week 7, if this runs long Union Council might have to be
        rescheduled to Monday Week 8.
        Gareth Williams – Democracy Committee Chair
        We have had our first Democracy Committee. Jacqui Clements attended to talk through
        the legal status change and the work required to achieve it. All the work needs to be
        completed by January 2010 to ensure it is ready to take to referendum in Term 2.
        Ty Beetseh – Postgraduate Forum Coordinator
        I will be arranging a postgraduate forum meeting soon and intend to focus on
        developing a strategy for engaging postgraduate students more.




EXEC.09/10.2
                                         -2
2.6     NEW POLICY
        2.6.1 Policy 709 PhD Status Students
        Welfare Officer
        SW has spoken to Robert Wooldridge-Smith at the University about implementing this
        policy and how the University can solve the issue. It is unlikely any further feedback will
        be available before the end of Term 1.
        SW will report back at the first exec meeting of Term 2.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\709 PhD STUDENT STATUS.dotx
        2.6.2 Policy 710 Police Logging of Personal Details of Campaigners
        Campaigns Forum Coordinator
        AF has discussed possible campaign ideas with the forum for this policy. Initial ideas at
        the moment are to campaign over 2 days by dressing up as policemen, filming people
        and taking down their details and then handing over a flyer explaining what it is all
        about. A workshop would then be held a few days after along the theme of ‘Know your
        Rights’ explaining what the police can and can’t do. If anyone has any other ideas
        please let AF know. AF is aiming to do the campaign around Week 10.
        President
        AB reported that he has written to all local MPs. So far only James Plaskitt has
        responded. AB will write to the Home Office when the postal strike has finished.
        Communications Officer
        IA will publicise the campaign on the SU website.
        Welfare Officer
        SW has not yet contacted the University but will do so by the next meeting.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\710 POLICE LOGGING OF PERSONAL DETAILS OF
        CAMPAIGNERS.dotx


2.7     POLICY IMPLEMENTATION
        2.7.1 Policy 324 Adherence of Warwick NUS Delegates to Warwick Policy
        AP will circulate the policy to the current NUS delegates.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\324 Adherence of Warwick NUS Delegates to Warwick
        Policy.dotx
        2.7.2 Policy 384 GM Foods
        Will be displayed on all new menus and will be clearly labelled in the new outlets
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\384 GM Foods.dotx
        2.7.3 Policy 705 Democracy Reform
        This policy will be tied in with the wider review being undertaken for the legal status
        change.
        AP announced that he is considering removing the exec committee from the motion list
        to give more time to prepare the proposals. As the entire exec committee also sit on
        council there will still be an opportunity to comment on the proposals.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\705 Democracy Reform.dotx
        2.7.4 Policy 686 One World Week
        AP is having weekly meetings with the finance officer for OWW.
        AB is still to review the memorandum of understanding.
        AP confirmed the current SPLAT Co-ordinator was elected via a panel that consisted of
        last years Sabbs to ensure the position was chosen fairly.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\686 One World Week.dotx
        2.7.5 Policy 708 Protection of Female Students in Postgraduate Science

EXEC.09/10.2
                                           -3
        SW is planning an email which will be sent to all University staff, specifically lecturers to
        make sure they are aware of the policy to ensure there is no sexism.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\708 PROTECTION OF FEMALE STUDENTS IN POSTGRADUATE
        SCIENCE.dotx
        2.7.6 Policy 707 Government Policy Relating to City Academies and Trust Schools
        AP reported that following the passing of this policy at Council, Andy Glyde (08-09 GAF
        Officer) received communication from the Oasis Centre stating that the facts noted in
        the policy were incorrect. This policy therefore needs to be amended at the next Council
        meeting. Specifically Notes 7 needs changing.
        JP clarified that following this incident the remit of Steering was changed and Andy
        Glyde drafted a checklist to be followed at each Steering meeting to make sure nothing
        is missed.
        SK confirmed that the University are aware of the policy.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\707 GOVERNMENT POLICY RELATING TO CITY ACADEMIES AND
        TRUST SCHOOLS.dotx
        2.7.7 Policy 519 Discrimination in the National Blood Service
        The LGBTUA+ campaigns officer will be writing to the national blood service during Pride
        Week.
        SW announced that a campaign will be taking place in Week 8. The blood service is
        coming back on campus that week and they are aware of the campaign. A petition will
        be available for people to sign and there may be a talk afterwards about the policy.
        SW confirmed he will send a letter to the national blood service expressing the students’
        views.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\519 Discrimination in the National Blood Service.dotx
        2.7.8 Policy 595 Access to the University Experience
        SK will check with the library where the CCTV points are and report back at the next
        meeting.
        SW reported that unfortunately there are not sufficient funds to buy a brailer. SW is
        hoping to acquire some second hand signs in brail.
        SW also noted that free union membership is not possible but enablers do get free entry
        to events.
        AT noted that there could be a problem with free entry to Warwick Sport events as you
        need to be a Warwick Sport member to gain access. AT will investigate.
        SW to report back on progress at the last meeting of Term 1.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\595 Access to the Univeristy Experience.dotx
        2.7.9 Policy 370 Wednesday Afternoons
        SK confirmed that the first part of the policy has been completed. The focus is now on
        postgraduate students.
        AT confirmed that the Sports Committee are fully behind this policy and intend to
        communicate with PG students to get their feedback.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\370 WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS.dotx
        2.7.10 Policy 445 Safer Sex Campaign
        SW confirmed that the GUM clinic was recently on campus, safe sex material is
        available from the Union during the day and the nightline block in the evening/night.
        SW will bring up the other resolves at the Equality & Diversity meeting next term.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\445 SEXUAL HEALTH CAMPAIGN.dotx
        2.7.11 Policy 582 Cannabis in University Halls of Residence
        AF confirmed he will write another letter to the University and will report back at the next
        meeting.


EXEC.09/10.2
                                             -4
        IA will include information about this policy in an all member email and will also put up
        information about the petition.
        It was agreed that the policy needs to be amended to reflect the change in classification
        of cannabis.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\582 Cannabis in University Halls of Residence.dotx
        2.7.12 Policy 487 Sponsorship and Advertising in the Students’ Union
        AP requested clarification on why each company has been banned. CR will work with AP
        on this.
        Papers
        L:\Democracy\Policy\Policy Documents\487 Sponsorship and Advertising in the Students' Union.dotx



2.8     EMERGENCY BUSINESS
        None

2.9     CLOSED SESSION BUSINESS
        See separate closed session minutes.

2.10    ANNOUNCEMENTS
        AP announced that the LGBTUA+ and Ethnic Minorities Caucuses are taking place
        tonight and the Women’s Caucus tomorrow night.
        AB announced he is starting work on a bus campaign. All help would be gratefully
        received.
        CR announced a Dissident noise event at the Robins Well tomorrow from 8pm.
        Everyone is welcome.
        SK announced a TeachFirst social event taking place on Nov 6th in Rootes.
2.11    QUESTIONS TO OFFICERS
        2.11.1 Communications Officer
        Please could you update us on what is happening with the Love Music, Hate Racism and
        Love Music, Hate Homophobia events?
        Isaac Acquah – I will try to get it into the ents schedule for week 8 or 9 of Term 1.

2.12    FOR INFORMATION
        2.12.1 Sabbatical Meeting Minutes
        To note
        Papers
        P:\Sabbs Meetings\09-10\T1W4
        2.12.2 Sabbatical Expenses
        To note
        Papers
        None

2.13    ACTION LIST
        As below

2.14    TIME AND DATE OF NEXT MEETING
        Wednesday 2nd December at 5pm in MR4




EXEC.09/10.2
                                             -5
                                   ACTION LIST
                                   4 November 2009

      AGENDA           TITLE                        ACTION                   BY        DATE
        NO                                                                  WHOM
    1.7        Policy Review              To create a time specific         CR / AP   2/11/09
                                          schedule for all Union policy
    2.6.1      Policy 709 – PhD Status    Report back on progress with       SW        Term 2,
               Students                   the University                              first exec
                                                                                       meeting
    2.6.2      Policy 710 – Police        Contact the University to seek     SW       T1, Week
               logging of Personal        clarification that they are not                  9
               Details of Campaigners     holding any information
    2.7.1      Policy 324                 Circulate policy to current NUS     AP        ASAP
                                          delegates
    2.7.6      Policy 707                 To amend Notes 7 in the             AP      T1, Week
                                          policy at the next Union                        8
                                          Council
    2.7.11     Policy 582                 Write to the University             AF      T1, Week
                                                                                          9
    2.7.11     Policy 582                 To amend the policy to reflect    AF/CR     T1, Week
                                          the change in classification of                 8
                                          cannabis




EXEC.09/10.2
                                         -6

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:7
posted:3/21/2012
language:
pages:6