“The man of steel”
MAD, BAD, AND SAD
• NOT HIS REAL NAME, HE’S NOT EVEN A RUSSIAN.
• BORN IN GEORGIA (CAUCUSUS) IN 1879.
• IOSIF DZHUGASHVILI.
• FATHER WAS A SHOEMAKER AND A DRUNK.
• HE GREW UP IN A HUT.
• ENROLLS IN SEMINARY;
IS THROWN OUT FOR
“COMRADE” STALIN AS
• DOES LITTLE DURING RUSSIAN
• APPOINTED BOLSHEVIK COMMISSAR
OF NATIONALITIES AFTER THE
•Stalin supported Lenin’s takeover
•After Lenin dies, uses his influence to assume
•Constantly afraid of outside attack by other
•“They know communism is better, so they’re
•Believes only way to protect USSR was by
dramatically increasing military might and
•At any cost!
•Does this by establishing “5 year plans”
FIVE YEAR PLANS
• Central government
planners set goals -
Almost catches up to
Rest of Europe in less
Than 15 years
5 year plans
• Stalin would look at production amounts
• set an extreme goal for factories, etc….
• Example 1935
Electricity, coal, steel, food, etc...
5 year plans
• Forces people to move
from countryside to cities
• Huge display boards
• Begin paying harder, more
skilled workers more $
• It worked….
• Farmers forced to work as a group “collectivization”
Old methods to new...
ELIMINATING THE KULAKS
• KULAKS WERE
MONEY AND SEED TO
• ACCUSED OF
• STALIN LAUNCHES A
•Stalin resentful of “Kulaks”
•(Farmers with more land/$/resources
•Confiscates their lands
•Exiles many to forced labour camps in Siberia
FAMINE IN UKRAINE
• HARVESTS FAIL IN
• WORK CAMPS FOR DISSENTERS OR
ANYONE ACCUSED BY PARTY
• MOSTLY IN SIBERIA – MASSIVE
PROJECTS BUILT BY SLAVE LABOR
•Kulaks not the only sent to Siberia
•Anyone found not contributing/doing their fair share
•Anyone complaining about Stalin/government
•Siberia=“Labour Camps”, c-o-l-d...
•= dreadful conditions…early death
• STALIN REMOVED ANYONE HE PERCEIVED
AS A THREAT
• EVENTUALLY, ALMOST ALL THE “OLD
BOLSHEVIKS” OF THE REVOLUTION WERE
REPLACED BY “LITTLE STALINS”
Public humiliation of
Those being purged.
Started with killing of
Kirov, a loyal follower
Of Stalin. Liquidations
To hundreds a day.
•Stalin is ruthless.
•Eliminates any political competition via exile/death/Siberia
•Does this on a regular basis…called “purges”
•Secret police (NKVD) would round up suspected “traitors”
•given “show trials”, then sent “away”….
•Trotsky builds villa-fortress in Mexico with high security.
•Eventually Stalin finds Trotsky, sends an agent.
•Agent works his way into compound, becomes an employee
•One night agent sneaks into bedroom,
stabs Trotsky in back of skull with an
•Voting allowed…but only for communist party:-)
•“One-party-rule” eventually becomes
•Stalin eventually becomes a dictator with full control
•Stalin has complete, total control of the country.
•Forces USSR to become very powerful…
•Many human costs.
•Estimates of 5-25 million deaths.
•Many claim his purges and excessive work plans killed
more Russians than WW1&2 combined!?
•How does he get away with all this???
• Stalin controls media
• Radio, newspapers, education, t.v., everything.
• Always portraying Stalin as Sweet “Uncle Joe”
CULT OF PERSONALITY
"The leader and teacher of humanity in the
fight for peace, democracy and socialism."
would be used
for this image?
Why wouldn’t this image be allowed?
Even other countries were impressed...
• Chechens, Kalmyks and Balkars
• Small Caucasian peoples accused of
cooperating with Nazis
• Rounded up and sent into desert in dead of
winter to die.
DEATH OF STALIN
• “DOCTORS’ PLOT”
• NO CLEAR SUCCESSION
• USSR becomes one of the mightiest powers
on the planet, 2nd only to USA
• First to get a satellite in space
• Eventually helps other countries become communist (Cuba, etc.)
• Costs???? Millions of dead civilians
• Increased tensions between countries
• Cold War