St. Mark’s United Methodist Church
Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor - Job Description
Updated July 2009
Providing pastoral care and nurture for visitors and new members of the St. Mark’s Community as
well as the sick and homebound of the church, through regular visitation and participation in the
sacrament of Holy Communion, is an important part of the ministry of Christ's Church. In Matthew 25
Jesus emphasizes the importance of taking care of those who are unable to participate fully in the
community. The responsibilities of this position along with considerations on the part of the
congregation for this important work follow.
Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor Responsibilities:
• Provide Pastoral Care to the congregation of St. Mark’s in consultation with the Lead Pastor of St.
• Visitation of shut-ins of St. Mark’s UMC
• Coordinate the visitation and communion care to shut-ins by the pastoral staff and members of the
Communion Ministry Team
• Attend meetings of the Nurture Committee.
• Officiate at funerals (when requested)
• Assist in hospital visitation
• Share emergency "on call" with other pastors.
• Be supervised by the Lead Pastor and Nurture Committee
In addition to these duties it is understood that this position has some flexibility in relation to schedule.
(i.e. St. Mark's is open to this person being gone for extended periods of time with the understanding that
the person would make up those duties when they return).
The Staff Parrish Relations Committee has moved to establish a position for a part time Pastoral Care and
Nurture Pastor. St. Mark's would employ this person on a contract for ministry basis
Qualifications of employment: The position of Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor shall require
the following qualifications for employment:
1. Ordained in the United Methodist Church or similar credential from a sister church.
2. Ability to organize, administer, and lead programs in the Church.
3. Ability to preach understandably and effectively.
4. Provide effective leadership and recruitment for and to volunteers.
*A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
This job description will be reviewed annually by the Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor, Lead
Pastor and the Staff-Parrish Relations Committee. Any problems relating to the performance
of these responsibilities shall be brought to the attention of the Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor
by the Lead Pastor and/or Staff-Parrish Relations Committee Chairperson. Job related
concerns of the Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor shall be taken to the Chairperson of the Staff-
Parrish Relations Committee. All parties shall attempt to resolve concerns in a timely manner
and shall be given an appropriate time frame in which to do so.
I have read and understand the responsibilities of the position of Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor at St.
Mark’s United Methodist Church. I understand that failure to adequately meet these responsibilities
could result in my immediate dismissal.
The 2009 annual salary for Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor is limited to expenses.
Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor Date
I have reviewed the job description for the Pastoral Care and Nurture Pastor with
_________________________ and made him/her aware of the compensation the position offers.
SPR Committee Representative Date