Rules for participation:
(A)Submit your answers along with following details.
A group of 3 people is to be formed for participating in elims.
• Everybody’s CONSO ID (that can be obtained by registering on Consortium’12 website)
• College Name
• E-mail ID
• Contact No.
• Accommodation required or not? (for outsiders)
Submit the answers on or before Wednesday, 11th Jan 2012 (9:00 pm).
(B)Write your answers below each question in this same file.
(C) Mail your answers i.e. this word file, at email@example.com.
(D) Participants shortlisted through round 1 will be called for final game play.
1. I just found a number with an interesting property:
When I divide it by 2, the remainder is 1.
When I divide it by 3, the remainder is 2.
When I divide it by 4, the remainder is 3.
When I divide it by 5, the remainder is 4.
When I divide it by 6, the remainder is 5.
When I divide it by 7, the remainder is 6.
When I divide it by 8, the remainder is 7.
When I divide it by 9, the remainder is 8.
When I divide it by 10, the remainder is 9.
It's not a small number, but it's not really big, either.
Find the smallest number with such property.
2. Letter Equations are well known phrases or facts where the key words have been replaced with
the first letter of that word. Solve the following:
a) 29 D in F in a L Y
b) 13 L in a B D
3. Represented below are 8 common sayings that involve animals. The first letter of the two
missing words in each saying is given. Determine the sayings.
Eg: s________ as a m_____
Ans: Stubborn as a mule.
a) S___ as a s_____
b) W___ as an o____
4. Divide the figure below into 4 identical parts.
(Hint: The parts are the same shape as the figure. The sizes may vary)(P.S.-Use paint to do it)
5. All of my flowers except two are roses. All of my flowers except two are tulips. All of my flowers
except two are daisies. How many flowers do I have?
6. Find the anagrams of the words below:
7. Can you determine which number best completes this puzzle?
(Hint: The answer involves a square root)
8. The question below consists of a main statement followed by 4 numbered statements. From the
numbered statements, select the one that logically follows the main statement.
Whenever there is demand, there will be supply.
a) There is supply, hence there is demand.
b) There is demand, hence there is supply.
c) There is no supply implies there is no demand.
d) There is no supply but there is demand.
e) Both b and c.
9. The ages of a father and son add up to 66. The father's age is the son's age reversed.
How old could they be?
10. Each of Andy, Simon and Beatrice is a truth teller, liar or an alternator, not necessarily in the
same order. A truth teller always speaks the truth, a liar always tells lies, an alternator alternates
between truth and lies, in any order. Following are the statements made by each of the three
Andy: 1.Simon is the truth teller.
2. I am an alternator.
Simon: 1. Andy is a liar.
2. I am a truth teller.
Beatrice: 1. I am a truth teller.
2. Simon is an alternator.
Who is the truth teller?
d) Cannot be determined.
Who is the alternator?
d) Cannot be determined.
Who is the liar?
d) Cannot be determined.
11. Complete the sequence:
4, 7, 15, 29, 59, 117, ____
12. If NUMERAL is written as UEALRMN then how would you write ALGEBRA?
13. Complete the sequence:
B E J Q _
14. You drive to the store at 20 mph and return by the same route at 30 mph. Discounting the time
spent at the store, what was your average speed?
15. Each of the three persons A, B and C selects two items among P, Q, R, S, T and U. If a person
selects S, he will not select Q. B does not select P or T. A does not select Q or U. C does not
select T or U. P and R must be selected by the same person. What are the articles selected by A?
a) R and P
b) T and U
c) S and U
d) S and T
16. Randy is taller than Elton, Jurgen is shorter than Randy.
Of only one of the following statements, we now certainly know it is correct:
Elton is taller than Jurgen
Jurgen is taller than Elton
It cannot be determined if Jurgen or Elton is tallest.
17. My grandson is about as many days as my son is weeks, and my grandson is as many months as I
am in years. My grandson, my son and I together are 140 years. Can you tell me my age in
18. I am thinking of a 6-digit number. The sum of the digits is 43.
And only two of the following three statements about the number are true:
(1) it's a square number,
(2) it's a cube number, and
(3) the number is under 500000.
19. A boy and a girl each have a bag containing the same number of jelly beans. How many jelly
beans must the boy give the girl so the girl will have ten more jelly beans than the boy?
(Hint: 10 is not the answer!)
20. Pick the odd one out:
21. What do the following eight words have in common?
22. Match the following and choose the correct answer from the codes given below :
I. Simon Commission 1. 1885
II. Quit India Movement 2. 1942
III. Formation of Indian National Congress 3. 1927
IV. Minto-Morley Reforms 4. 1909
23. Answer the following:
1.) Which country won the Davis Cup tennis for the first time in its history beating France in the
final on December 5, 2010?
2) Italian Film director ,screenwriter and one of the masters of the Commedia all’Italiana
(Comedy Italian style) who died on November 29, 2010 at the age of 95, after committing
suicide by jumping from a window of the San Giovanni hospital in Rome, where he was admitted
a few days earlier for prostate cancer?
3) The second youngest person ever to win Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2010?
4) Mobs of which Caribbean country killed more than 45 Voodoo priests, accusing them for
using “black magic” to spread cholera?
5) On Every year January 25 will be celebrated as the which day?
6) Who has been sworn in a Karnataka’s Chief Minister?
7) Which two industries of Japan are set to merge?
8) Which telecom company increased call tariffs by 20% recently?
9) Name the Greek Prime Minister who won confidence vote recently.
10) Who became 7th Indian to take 5 wickets on debut for India?
24. What single letter when added to the following will form 3 letter words?