Annual Program Directors Meeting
Association of Substance Abuse Providers
• Treatment RFP
• Medicaid Substance Abuse Benefit
• DDRAC Recommendations Related to
• Clinical Management Behavioral Health
Milestone Completed Target
Post 1st RFI document January 9, 2009
Conduct stakeholder public meeting January 27, 2009
Gather feedback from stakeholders February 9, 2009
Review stakeholder questions, comments, and February 24, 2009
Identify workgroups and Lead SMEs to address March 26, 2009
topics and issues regarding scopes of work
Finalize Performance & Activity Measures and May 26, 2009
Outcomes for review and approval
Post 2nd RFI/RFP document September 4, 2009
Treatment RFP: DRAFT
Milestone Target Date*
RFI/RFP Steering Committee review stakeholder October 2, 2009
questions, comments, and feedback
Finalize RFP with stakeholder input for RFI/RFP October 16, 2009
Steering Committee review/approval
CSCU receives and reviews DRAFT RFP then October 30, 2009
facilitates OGC and HUB review and approval
(needs at least 10 days)
Submit CATRAD form and RFP to Contract Advisory November 6, 2009
Team (CAT) for review and approval (at least 45
days prior to RFP posting date)
*DSHS reserves the right to change the dates as needed
and at the sole direction of DSHS.
Future Milestones Con’t
Milestone Target Date
Post RFP on ESBD November 20, 2009
Post Pre-Proposal Conference Announcement on November 20, 2009
Hold Pre-Proposal Conference December 4, 2009
RFP Due Dates/Closing date December 18, 2009
• Benefit will be an overlay on the current Medicaid
system: STAR and STAR Plus in those applicable
service areas (most urban areas); fee for service in non
managed acre areas (rural areas).
• Project Workgroup continues to work through clinical
policies. Once policies are developed and reviewed
internally, there will be an effort to share them with
• Concurrent work on Medicaid state plan amendment is
• Workgroups need to be developed to review
• Rate setting needs to occur.
• Outreach and education plans are ongoing.
• Timeline for implementation is still tentatively
• Request Emergency SAMSHA Funding
• Security cameras for border providers
• Employee Assistance Program for staff
• Staff training for working with gang members
• Shoring up treatment programs
• Continuation and expansion of drug courts
• Pilot program using Recovery Abuse Coaches as a
cost effective alternative to treatment
• Conduct an impact analysis on the effects of
drug decriminalization in Mexico
• Invite ONDCP Director Gil Kerlikowske to tour
the border areas
• Request that unused Access to Recovery
Funds be redirected to border areas
• Request that unused TANF funds be
redirected to treatment for TANF recipients
• Migration of BHIPS data into CMBHS,
through July 31, 2009, is complete.
• Incremental data load (data after July 31st)
will be complete during the second week of
• Connection of Mental Retardation and
Behavioral Health Outpatient Warehouse
(MBOW) reports to CMBHS will delay IT
delivery by several weeks.
Substance Abuse Deployment
• Approx. 200 staff from Regions 6 and 7 have
been trained. Service providers and OSARS
• Feedback from the trainees about CMBHS
and CMBHS training has been very positive.
• The need for refresher training will be
evaluated and Webinar refreshers will be
scheduled if needed.
• Deployment for providers and ValueOptions
is scheduled for 2010.
• Will include only SA service providers.
• Small user acceptance testing of NorthSTAR-
related CMBHS functions will be conducted.
• Training will be provided for providers and
Mental Health Services
• Phase 1 - Data from CARE and MBOW will be regularly
imported into CMBHS, keeping the current data submission
process for LMHAs unchanged.
• Phase 2 - LMHAs will submit data directly to CMBHS using
data-sharing standards developed by Nationwide Health
Information Network (NHIN), a federal HHS initiative to provide
a secure, nationwide, interoperable information infrastructure to
connect providers, consumers, and others involved in
Panel of DSHS staff, providers, and vendors is being assembled
to develop data-sharing standards for elements not covered by
the national standards.