Chapter 20 – Africa and the
Africans in the age of the Atlantic
Slave Trade, Slide Notes
States factories Brazil Luanda sugar missionary
approval slavery Enlightenment Royal
Triangular trade Atlantic Middle Passage
1. Most of Africa remained independent _______________.
2. Trading stations (forts) along Africa’s coastline were called _______________.
3. _____________, Portuguese settlement became the core for the colony o
Angola. They than moves south to Mozambique Island.
4. Received more than 40% of slaves reaching the Americans ___________.
5. Most fort by the Portuguese and Spanish were established with the
___________ of African authorities desiring trade benefits.
6. __________________ efforts followed, particularly in Benin and Kongo.
7. Main reason for slavery _____________plantations, on Atlantic islands and
then to the Americas.
8. Campaign against slavery grew form ____________________ideas and was a
turning point in world history.
9. ______________ assisted the development of capitalism.
10. ____________ African Company, chartered in Britain in 1660s, establish a
monopoly over the African slave trade,
11. Commercial pattern linking Africa, the Americas, and Europe; slaves from
Africa went to the New World ______________________ ______________.
12. Between 1450-1850 12 million Africans were shipped across the
_____________, 1/3 of those shipped might have died in the initial raiding or
march to the coast.
13. Slave voyage from Africa to Americas; a deadly and traumatic
Dahomey saltwater slaves Creole slaves Boers
Afrikaners Voortrekkers Shaka Zulu
14. Asante and _______________ were among the important states developing
during the slave trade.
15. The dispersing of a group of people after the conquest of their homeland. -
16. Slaves transported from Africa _____________ ________________.
17. American-born descendants of saltwater slaves. ___________
18. On African’s East coast, Swahilli trading towns continued commerce of ivory,
gold and ____________ for the Middle East. Few slaves went to European
plantation colonies from the East Coast.
19. Dutch farmers who immigrated to South Africa ____________________.
20. Another term used for the Boers __________________.
21. ___________________ Boer farmer who migrated futher into South Africa.
22. Movement inland during the 1830s of Boers settlers in South Africa seeking to
escape their British colonial government.
23. Created the Zulu state __________________.
24. Wars between British and African _____________ tribes.
25. Abolition of the slave trade for Britain happened in _____________.