Working Group 2B
Developing a Capable NEPIO
Difficulties and Solutions
International Atomic Energy Agency
Group 2B - 1
• Government ministries don’t want to give
power away to an organisation like NEPIO.
Some ministries (Environment?) may be
against nuclear. Several ministries may
each want to be the leader.
Group 2B - 2
• Don’t read the NEPIO or Milestone
document literally. Design NEPIO to suit
your own country.
Group 2B - 3
• The life of NEPIO depends on the long term
plans for nuclear.
• If the country only wants one or two NPPs
NEPIO can disappear after milestone 2.
• With a large nuclear programme, NEPIO needs
to continue, perhaps as a nuclear agency.
However, assessments should be done in
accordance with the IAEA document.
Group 2B - 4
• What does NEPIO do if the government
minister has unrealistic expectations?
Political expectations can be different from
technical reality. Politicians want nuclear
Show the minister the Milestones document.
Involve all the stakeholders. Ask IAEA
experts to help explain to the government.
Group 2B - 5
• Before we start we must show a need for
additional energy source in 20 years time.
How do we prove it?
• In many countries this is easy – the problem
is we need more energy now! In other
countries this may be harder.
Group 2B - 6
After Milestone 1….
• If the NEPIO can develop a single nuclear
regulatory body, which combines existing
regulatory bodies, this would be a great help
for simplifying regulation.
This is likely to be difficult, but it would be
helpful to minimise the number of regulatory
Group 2B - 7
• In some countries, activities are not done in
the correct order. A NEPIO is not
established at the beginning. This requires
a government decision.
Follow the Milestones document
Group 2B - 8
• A NEPIO which does not have the power
and authority from the government cannot
perform its duties.
Group 2B - 9
• IAEA has estimated the timescales for the
NEPIO to do its job. However, the
governments may not accept the cost.
It would be helpful if the IAEA could give an
estimate of the likely cost.
Group 2B - 10
• NEPIO must start public discussions from the
beginning. Public acceptance depends strongly on
A good energy policy study is needed to
demonstrate the need to launch a nuclear
If people are concerned about energy
independence, they are more likely to support
nuclear power programme