From Toni Morrison’s “Thoughts on the African-American Novel”
p. 28 Am-lit textbook
Questions to be answered following the reading --- WRITE THE ANSWERS
TO THESE QUESTIONS IN YOUR NOTEBOOK!
1. According to Morrison, what event and what class of people caused
the birth of the novel as a literary form?
2. In Morrison’s view, what lessons did the novel of manners teach?
3. What reasons does Morrison give for explaining how African American
culture developed a need for the novel?
4. What specific qualities does Morrison say an African American novel
5. What does Morrison find disappointing in criticism of her work?
6. Morrison says that a novel should present problems but needn’t solve
them. Do you agree or disagree? Why?