NHS GREATER GLASGOW & CLYDE
PREVENTION 2010/KEEP WELL
Note on Project Team Meeting
Held on 7 December 2006 in
Boardroom of Stobhill Hospital
Present: Ms Jackie Britton (Chair)
Mr Alastair Low
Ms Anna Baxendale
Mrs Evelyn Borland
Dr Richard Groden
Dr Paul Ryan
Dr Caroline Morrison
Mr Tom Clackson
Mrs Ann Gow
Dr Linda de Caestecker
Ms Ann Marie Murdoch
Dr Rona Dougal
Mrs A Mitchell
Apologies: Gillian Halyburton
Introductions: JB welcomed those present to the meeting. Apologies were noted.
JB enquired if there were any items to be added to the agenda.
AL enquired about the changes in personnel at SEHD in relation to the Project;
the issue of a seminar for a wider staff audience was noted. These items would be
covered in the meeting.
Notes of Previous Meeting: The note of the meeting held on 1st November had
been circulated. JB referred to the email from CM – the points covered in the
email were noted.
Matters Arising – Issue re Laboratory Clinics. JB stated she had not managed to
put this in place as yet but will continue to pursue. TC stated that transport may
be a problem and suggested taxis could be considered.
Update on Project - National: The timing of the meeting of the national
Programme Board co-incided with the local meeting. JB had contacted John
Howie for briefing – and the main issues of note were:
Wave II sites had been announced – these include 3 sites in Greater Glasgow
& Clyde – south Glasgow, Inverclyde and West Dunbarton. EB enquired about
the opportunities for learning. There was discussion on timescales, models and
localities. L deC suggested that this was something which the Board would wish
Standards Development – the National Group was keen to develop standards
for the Project and it was suggested this should build on the work developed
through Have a Heart Paisley. TC enquired about evaluation. L deC indicated
that there was work developed for Have a Heart Paisley and offered to send on a
copy of this for circulation to the Group. Action LdeC
Staff Change: Frances Wood, who had been the lead for the Project at SEHD
was moving on to a new post, outwith health. AL enquired if this would impact
on the Project in any significant way. L deC suggested not.
Links to Strategic Planning: AB tabled a paper outlining the linkages which
required to be made to ensure planning was effective and in line with corporate
structures. There was discussion on the paper. EB enquired about collation of
information on CHCP basis to inform strategy. CM suggested that good ideas
should be fed upwards. There was then discussion on the planning and
prioritisation around smoking cessation and the role of the Smoking PIG – as an
example – and the level of involvement from CHCPs.
In the discussion on AB’s paper suggested areas for inclusion were links to the
JPIAF. AB agreed to incorporate this and ensure all appropriate planning forum
were included. JB indicated there was a meeting in East CHCP on 11th December
at which the paper developed would be raised. Action AB
This led on to discussion on a paper tabled by AMM in relation to support which
could be provided through the OD team to support the Project. There was
discussion on this –and the project structure. It was agreed that AMM and JB
would meet and pull together information for the Group. The aim was to develop
effective communication on the roles of the different sub-groups. The paper
developed by AB would be included in the discussion. Action AMM/JB
Practices and other Services: AM gave an update on the development of
proposals for the health/wellbeing services in the East CHCP. EB indicated that
in the North CHCP meetings were taking place with the providers to confirm
arrangements. With regard to GP Practices JB indicated that one of the Practices
in Easterhouse had expressed some concerns about the IT involved. RG indicated
that there were perhaps other Practices with anxieties. There was discussion on
what the concerns may be. TC suggested it was important to win hearts and
minds with the GPs. JB indicated she appreciated the concerns around the IT but
had asked Practices to see how this progresses – once they get started. If the
workload outweighs benefits this will require to be revisited. The main concerns
were with regard to the tracking tool.
General discussion took place on how to support Practices. JB indicated that she
had asked Practices to review their proposals in light of the perceived workload
around the tracking tool – this will be followed up.
CM enquired about the position if Practices do pullout. JB agreed to clarify the
current position. Action JB
Mental Health: With regard to the IT system CM indicated that there are some
gaps in information . JB indicated she had spoken with Colin McCormack in an
attempt to get the information required.
JB indicated she had received comments from the Mental Health Partnership
where it was understood that there was no funding being allocated to mental
health services. JB had confirmed that this was not the position – with funding
identified for primary mental health services in the east – and both the north and
the east investing in stress centres. It was noted that communication was an
important issue in the development of the Project.
AL brought to the attention of the Group the recent mental health strategy issued
by SEHD and suggested this may be of interest.
Pharmacy: JB enquired whether it would be appropriate to have a representative
from pharmacy on the Group. It was noted that progress around the community
pharmacy contract was slow. It was suggested a representative would be not
necessary at this stage.
With regard to the monitoring systems these are being developed to capture
information for a number of areas. JB enquired about the level and nature of
information that should be presented to the Project Team regarding prescribing. It
was agreed that PR and RG would liaise with the prescribing advisers in the
CHCP and establish the information available. It was agreed that information
should be presented to the Project Team on a regular basis Action PR/RG
Communications: JB confirmed that the note of the most recent meeting had
been circulated to the Group. JB enquired if there remained an intention for a
local launch. L deC suggested not. EB indicated it would be important to ensure
that communication is developed with the appropriate groups. It was agreed that
the preference would be for local events. The comments made would be taken
back to the Communications sub-group.
Information & IT: JB confirmed that the note of the recent meeting – and a
paper on current progress had been circulated. It was noted that interviews for the
information officer/analyst for Prevention 2010/Keep Well would be taking place
in the near future. Progress in the development of the CDSS screens and the
tracking tool were also noted.
Training & Workforce Development: EB advised the Group of the progress
being made. CM enquired about training in telephone skills. JB indicated that this
was being progressed. EB indicated that the training sub-group is developing a
training plan. It was noted that the IT training is being provided through the IT
Department and GP mentoring team – and there are links with the training group
Local Evaluation: JB indicated that workshops are being organised for the
beginning of the new year to learn from the GP Practices which had ‘gone live’
already. JB reminded the Project Team that the workplan for the external
evaluation team is high level and enquired if there are specific issues which the
Project Team would wish the local evaluation/ learning to consider. CM
suggested that the items in the external evaluation team’s proposal which had
fallen into the Phase II – therefore not likely to be progressed, were probably
among the things which should be considered locally. AB enquired about
evaluation of the tracking tool. TC suggested that this could perhaps be carried
out six months hence.
Discussion then took place on methods of evaluation. JB advised that the intention
was to provide a demonstration of the CDSS screens and tracking tool at the next
meeting of the Project Team and this would give an indication of the information
which will be available.
Staff Seminar: JB referred to an email which had been forwarded on from
LdeC in which a request had been made for a seminar on P2010/Keep Well for the
staff not in CHCPs involved. It was agreed that in principle this should be
provided. It was suggested that it was perhaps a bit early – and April/May next
year would be a good time to hold this. Action: Group
Date of Next Meeting: It was agreed the next meeting will be held on 30 January
2007 at 2 p.m. in the Corporate Meeting Room, North Glasgow CHCP.
The focus of the agenda will be on the IT systems developed.