Dragonwings Study Guide
Review these questions to study for the end-of-novel test
1. How did Moon Shadow feel about Americans?
2. Why isn’t Moon Shadow’s entire family in the United States?
3. What is a “soft skin”? Why might the Dragon King view them
as inferior to dragons?
4. Who is Black Dog? What problems does he cause for the
Company? What might be the reason behind his troubles?
5. What is each character’s importance in the story:
b. Uncle Bright Star
c. Hand Clap
d. White Deer
f. Moon Shadow
g. Miss Whitlaw
i. Black Dog
6. Why does Moon Shadow call white people “demons”? Does Moon
Shadow still feel this way at the end of the story? Why/why
7. How did the relationship between Moon Shadow and Windrider
with Miss Whitlaw and Robin change? (Did it deepen or become
less close? Why?)
8. How are the Whitlaws different than other demons?
9. How did Moon Shadow’s relationship with Miss Whitlaw and
Robin change him?
10. Why do Moon Shadow and Windrider have to leave the
11. How did Moon Shadow feel about the dragon in Miss Whitlaw’s
stained glass window when he first saw it? Did it change Moon
Shadow’s understanding of the demons?
12. Did Miss Whitlaw help Windrider achieve his dream? Why/why
not?) What was Windrider’s dream?
13. Does the friendship between Moon Shadow and Windrider with
Miss Whitlaw and Robin seem true to life? Why/why not?
14. What major event changes the lives of the characters in the
15. How does the Company keep itself from being permanently
moved out of the city?
16. Once again, Black Dog causes trouble at the end of the story.
What is it?