Homework Review Questions
List all the ingredients used in the experiment.
• Which ingredients used underwent a phase
change during the experiment?
• List their initial and final state of matter
Was energy added to the ice and salt during the
making of the ice cream? From where? How
do you know?
When the salt dissolved into the water during
ice cream creation was the ionic bond
between the sodium and the chlorine atoms
• Sugar has some compounds in it that are
composed of Carbon, hydrogen and oxygen.
What bond type forms between atoms in
sugar? Explain your answer
• Is ice cream a physical mixture or chemical
• Is the ice cream made considered more
homogenous or heterogeneous?
• Imitation vanilla has something called vanillin
as one of its main ingredients. Vanillin’s
molecular formula is C8H8O3.
• How many protons and neutrons must there
be in a single MOLECULE of vanillin. Assume
all atoms are the most common isotopes of
Write 2 examples of endothermic and
exothermic change in the state of matter of an
object that you experience today? Be sure to
indicate the objects transferring energy
• Working the bag with your hands for 5-10
minutes can create soft ice-cream
• Working the bag for 30 minutes produced
sugary milk. Why does the added minutes of
work undue the ice cream?
• What was the role of the salt?
• What physical evidence confirmed salt’s role
• Is the ice melting an exothermic or
endothermic change of state?
• Write the chemical formula for the melted
ice/rock salt mixture (normal salt +
• The inside bag was filled with milk, sugar and
vanilla. At the end of the experiment, the
volume of inside bag was significantly less.
a. Are the contents in that bag considered a
closed system in terms of mass? Explain
b. Was mass conserved? Explain
• What is the definition of the melting point of
• What is the definition of the freezing point of
• Will the Ice and rock salt combination conduct
electricity? Explain your answer