Review for Test:
Create a proportion for each word problem. Show all your
work. Circle your final answer.
1. Jewelers measure gold in karats. Pure gold is 24 karat gold.
a. In the United States, most jewelry is 18 karat gold. What percent
of the 18-karat jewelry is gold?
b. In the Netherlands, most jewelry is 22 karat gold. What percent of
the 22-karat jewelry is gold?
2. Consuela Reyes writes rap songs and receives a royalty of 8% of the
sales of her songs. Last month she received a royalty check for $3,896.00.
How much money was spent on her songs?
3. Jamal scored a 92% on his Science test. If there were 25 questions on
the test, how many questions did Jamal answer correctly?
4. In period 4 there are 35 students, 20% of them are wearing green. How
many students are wearing green?
5. Earth’s age is estimated at 4.6 billion years. If life began 3.5 billion years
ago, for what percent of Earth’s existence has life been present?
6. Forty percent of the 120 players on the football team are on the field
today. How many players are on the field?
7. Tim wants to buy a new pair of shoes. He saw them at Modell’s last
week and they were $85. He just got a coupon in the mail for 35% off his
next purchase. How much will the shoes cost, if there is also a 7% sales
8. Kathie and 2 of her girlfriends went out to dinner the other night. The
total cost of the bill was $136.25, including tax. Their waitress was really
good, so they wanted to give her a 20% tip. How much tip should they giver
her? What will the total cost of the bill be with the 20% tip?
9. Target is running a special this weekend. You get 15% off your total
purchase if you spend more than $100. My total at checkout was $176.40.
a.) How much money will I save?
b.) How much will I end up paying Target?
10. A frozen lean dinner entrée contains 200 calories. About 25% of the
calories are from fat. How many calories are from fat?
11. In a 16-oz bag of M&M’s there should be a total of about 525 M&M’s.
a. If 30% of the bag is brown, about how many brown M&M’s should
be in the bag?
b. If 10% of the bag is green, about how many green M&M’s should
be in the bag?
c. There are about 105 red M&M’s in a bag, what percent of the bag
does this represent?
12. If Sara pays only $45 of her $5,000 credit card bill, what percentage of
the bill will she pay?
a. 0.009% b. 0.9% c. 9% d. 90%
13. Marko buys a bike marked $400. He receives a 20% employee
discount and pays 8% sales tax on the discounted price. How much does
Marko pay for the bike?
14. A company that makes batteries checked 6,000 batteries it recently
produced. It found that 25 of the batteries were defective. What percent of
the total batteries checked were defective?
15. On a recent field trip, 30% of the student body went on the trip. If 560
students attend the school, how many students went on the trip?
16. A 500 gram candle burns off 35% of its mass. How much mass of the
17. What is 5% of 160?
18. Doug wants to leave a 15% tip on a bill that totals $130.50. How much
tip will he leave?
a. $150.08 b. $19.58 c. $19.60 d. $8.70