Sam Knob and Devil’s Courthouse
Sat 02 Aug 2008
The Cast of Characters, alphabetically speaking:
Andy Heman (Sweep)
Alan Toney (Leader)
dep Furman@ 8.30 a.m.
arr Furman @ 5.30 p.m.
…9 hours for the all-inclusive price of $7:
- 4 hours and 140 miles of driving the twisties.
- 5 hours and 10 miles of hiking, 1750 ft total elevation gain, all over 5000 ft.
- Lunch on Flat Laurel Creek.
- A 360 deg. panoramic view on top of Sam Knob, spotting 7 peaks over 6000 ft.
- 4 stream crossings.
- Butterflies galore.
- Blackberries along the trails.
- Sunny skies, high 70s/low 80s and light winds.
- Good Company All…priceless!
…and a bonus to complete the day, McCall’s Roadside Market on Crab Creek
Road…corn, melons, peaches, squash and tomatoes at bargain prices. Yumm!