study in Canada

Document Sample
study in Canada Powered By Docstoc
					Study in Canada
in Canada, Student Authorizations (student visas) are not required for English language courses that last
less than six months. If your program will be longer than 6 months, you should apply for a Student
Authorization at the closest Canadian Embassy or Consulate before coming to Canada. You cannot
obtain a Student Authorization after arriving in Canada. You must obtain it before you come to Canada.
One document you will need is a Letter of Acceptance from the school.Keep this letter to apply for your
Student Authorization at the visa office. People who apply for programs of 24 weeks or longer are usually
asked to complete medical examinations. It sometimes takes two or three months for the Canadian
government to process a medical examination report before approving a Student Authorization. If you
cannot wait that long it is best to apply for a shorter program. The Student Authorization can be extended
after you come to Canada.

You must be able to convince the authorities that you genuinely want to come to Canada to study, and
that you will return to your home country when your studies have been completed. You must also submit
all of the correct documents.


Planning - Before you apply for your Student Authorization or visitor visa, you must have: a valid
passport, a Letter of Acceptance from a Canadian school, proof that you have enough money to support
yourself for your entire stay in Canada.

Financial Support - You must be able to prove you can support yourself before a Student Authorization
may be issued. A letter from your bank in your country and a written pledge of financial support from a
parent will show immigration officials that you can afford your expenses while you are in Canada. These
expenses include tuition, homestay, transportation, medical insurance, personal needs and return trips

Character Reference - To be accepted by Canadian officials, you must prove you are a responsible
person with no criminal record. You may be asked to provide evidence of this through your local

Health Standards - You must be in good health. You may be asked for a medical certificate if you have
been living in a country with a high health risk.

Application - When you have all the letters and documents, you may apply for your Student Authorization
at the nearest Canadian consulate, embassy or high commission. The Student Authorization allows you
to study in Canada. Keep it in your passport.

Interviews - You might be asked to see an immigration officer for an interview. One purpose of the
interview is to help the immigration officer evaluate you personally. The immigration officer will want to
confirm that you have enough money to study in Canada, and that you will return to your home country
when your course is completed. Therefore, you should be well dressed, well groomed, and on time when
you go for your interview. You should behave in a positive and polite manner, even if the immigration
officer does not. You should never lie to an immigration officer.

Fee - The application fee for a Student Authorization is CAN$125. You must submit this with your

Passports and Visas - You will need a passport and perhaps a visa as well. Canadian officials in your
country can explain this to you before you leave. The Canada Visitors Visa is affixed to a page of your
passport. It tells you the date you must arrive in Canada, the length of time you can stay and whether it is
valid for one or more entries into Canada. When you arrive in Canada, you must show immigration
officials your passport and visa. The passport will be stamped with the date you must depart from
Canada. Check that this date is valid for your whole stay. If you need more time, ask someone at
Language Studies International to help you apply.