Job Description – Library Assistant
Job Title: Library Assistant Prepared by: Director of Library Services
Unit: Library Services Reviewed by: Director of Human Resources
Location: Henderson Campus
Reports To: Director of Library Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Date: October 10, 2008
Under the direction of the Director of Library Services, the Library Assistant performs a variety of support
activities in the library environment. These duties may encompass both the technical service and public
service sectors. Routine duties may include, but are not limited to, shelving of library materials,
performing circulation activities, creating and sending overdue notices, conducting basic cataloging and
making minor repairs to books and materials.
• Circulates materials by charging and discharging items via an automated circulation system.
• Notifies patrons of overdue materials, items on hold and damaged materials.
• Assists users in locating materials via the Horizon catalog system.
• Receives, processes and shelves the library’s journal collection.
• Performs basic cataloging duties - such as copy cataloging.
• Compiles and analyzes statistics. Prepares reports as needed.
• Assists patrons in the use of the LLRC computers, copiers and printers.
• Responsible for ensuring that the copiers and printers are supplied and in good working order.
• Shelves materials and conducts regular shelf reading.
• Manages the acceptance and acknowledgement of gift items.
• If scheduled, performs opening or closing duties:
• Turn on/off all copiers, printers and computers.
• Empty the book drop.
• Turn on/off lights.
• Examines the library for any physical damages or missing items.
• Monitors the library to assure a safe and secure environment for the patrons and staff.
• Maintains the inventory of supplies and materials.
• Collects and distributes the LLRC mail
• Assists with the annual inventory of the collection.
• Inspects returned books and materials for damages. Makes minor repairs to damaged items.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Ability to provide excellent customer service and public relations outreach.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft products and general office equipment.
• Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
• Capable of lifting minimum of 25 pounds and pushing loaded book carts.
• Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred experience includes knowledge of general office practices and procedures
• Work is primarily indoors, but requires the incumbent to be in an outdoor environment when
traveling off campus.
• Changes in work schedule and performing duties/attending events outside the normally
scheduled work hours occasionally occurs and may be required.
• Incumbent may be exposed to frequent noise caused by telephones, office machines, and nearby
oral communications among University personnel and/or students.
Required Physical Abilities
• Ability to bend, stoop, reach, stand, move from one area of the building to another on a regular
basis, sit and use a computer for a long period of time,
• Manual and physical dexterity needed to operate a computer keyboard and handle paper
• Sufficient near vision acuity to read information appearing on computer display screen, in hand-
written forms, and printed on paper,
• Adequate hearing and verbal abilities to communicate effectively in person and by telephone.
• Ability to lift and carry a stack of forms and documents weighing up to 15 pounds.
I have read the above position description and have received a copy.
Employee Signature Date