Position: Assistant Director of Workforce
Salary: Negotiable, based upon experience
FLSA: Exempt Status
The Center for Employment Opportunities (CEO), one of New York’s most successful workforce
development agencies, seeks an innovative and dynamic Assistant Director of Workforce
Development to help manage its Job Development Unit. The mission of CEO is to provide job
readiness and placement services, as well as transitional employment, to men and women on
Probation or returning from prison to New York City. Please see website for more information:
In order to maximize its full potential, CEO is recruiting a strategic sales professional with
expertise in building partnerships with employers in the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
This is an exceptional opportunity for an entrepreneurial, business savvy manager to bring
his/her skills to a well-respected, highly effective, mission-driven organization.
Assistant Director of Workforce Development
The Assistant Director of Workforce Development – a newly created position – will report to the
Director of Workforce Development. The successful candidate will help develop and implement
new and enhanced job development strategies and help the Job Development Unit to exceed
contractual and organizational job placement performance targets.
CEO serves a variety of employer partners, acting as a free-of-charge employment agency and
human resource support provider. The Job Development Unit locates businesses, develops
relationships with employers, locates job openings and places CEO program participants in
these positions. The Assistant Director of Workforce Development will manage a highly
energetic and performance oriented group of about 12 people including: 8 Job Developers
(JDs) and 4 Senior Job Developers, who oversee the training of new JDs.
In addition, the Assistant Director of Workforce Development will support and work
closely with the Director of Workforce Development to:
Leadership: Coach and Inspire Job Development Unit
• Motivate, coach, and supervise staff who play an essential role in creating and
sustaining job opportunity pipelines.
• Help develop short and long-term strategies to ensure the continuous identification,
recruitment, retention and training of high quality job developers.
• Help establish clear department goals and a tactical plan that will inspire team members
to meet monthly and annual placement targets.
• Collaborate and communicate consistently with the Director and senior leadership team,
as well as managers from other units such as Job Coaching and Retention, and
Transitional Employment, to effectively carry out CEO’s overall goals and mission.
Identify, Build and Strengthen Job Placement Opportunities
• Help implement, and execute a strategic plan to successfully expand the Job
Development Unit’s relationships with existing and future employers to ensure that
placement targets are met.
• Monitor trends and manage ongoing market analysis in the workforce arena for
potential opportunities; anticipate job market demands and areas in which a continuous
workforce may be needed.
• Serve as an external spokesperson and help lead the outreach process which includes:
1) Identifying prospects 2) Establishing contact 3) Building relationships with key
decision makers 4) Demonstrating benefits of the CEO model, and 5) Negotiating and
securing commitment from employers.
• Continue to provide and deliver high quality customer service to all current and
potential employers, as well as internal clients.
Operations: Enhance Systems and Processes
• Oversee the effectiveness of CEO’s system for matching participants’ knowledge, skills
and abilities with job orders; analyze strengths and weaknesses of the quality of job
placements and placement strategies; develop a campaign to improve the quality and
quantity of placements as necessary.
• Execute a systematic approach to: 1) ensure compliance with all contract reporting
requirements for private or public funding or regulatory agencies, and 2)manage and
capture key performance metrics such as new employer accounts, repeat business, cold
calls made, visits to local businesses, open job orders unfilled, etc.
• Maintain a comprehensive evaluation system for managing productivity, one that
encourages staff to accurately utilize internal program database(s).
Qualifications and Personal Attributes:
• Bachelors degree required
• Successful track record of persuading decision makers in small and medium sized
businesses, community-based organizations, and/or government agencies to purchase
services, collaborate on a new initiative or join a campaign.
• With team management experience of at least 3 years, and overall professional
experience of 7+ years, the ideal candidate has experience in either workforce
development or transaction-dense businesses (contingency recruiting, advertising sales,
• Experience developing and executing detailed and disciplined sales campaigns using
phone, face-to-face, and canvassing marketing techniques
• Experience with motivating, coaching, and leading staff with diverse backgrounds, and
a record of recruiting and retaining a talented and multi-ethnic staff.
• A record of success in an entrepreneurial environment; has identified growth
opportunities while also delivering tangible short-term goals. Must have an exceptional
ability to take an organization, program or initiative and increase its measurable
• Relationship builder who demonstrates ambition for the organization and team first and
foremost; is disciplined, driven and able to work effectively under pressure to meet
team and individual goals.
• Dynamic and savvy communicator; at ease in a community-facing role. Excellent
coalition building skills, with the ability to balance, negotiate, and come to consensus
with a broad and diverse client base.
• Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound
decision making in a complex organization; ability to think outside of the box.
• Technology savvy with the ability to manage data quickly and effectively; intermediate
knowledge of MS Excel and other MS applications is essential; demonstrated experience
with sales/CRM tracking systems required.
• Understands the basics of good customer service and apply it to CEO’s customers and
fellow employees consistently
• The confidence, credibility and poise to interact, listen, and work well with people at all
levels internal and external to the organization.
• Can teach, coach, and provide feedback to peers and subordinates with respect
• A person of high-integrity and a solid commitment to the mission and values of CEO;
demonstrated interest in “leveling the playing field” and civic engagement.
• Excellent organization and follow-through skills; does not need to be reminded about
• Highly self-motivated, energetic, and resilient in nature with the ability to exhibit a
sense of humor, especially under pressure.
CEO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds
Send your cover letter and resume to:
Director of Human Resources
Center for Employment Opportunities
32 Broadway, 15th Flr
New York, NY 10004