Common Schedule of Rates 2009-10
(To be made effective from 01.08.09)
1.0 Schedule of Rates (SR) are a set of information indicating Rates of Various
Materials and Labour to be adopted for preparation of Estimates and DPRs.
2.0 After the formation of ESCOMs, separate ESCOM wise SRs are being issued.
3.0 The prevailing SRs are effective from different dates and the labour charges are
provided depending on different labour indices prevailing at that time. The
details are furnished below:
Name of the Effective Date of
Sl.No. considered for labour
ESCOM prevailing SR
1 BESCOM 21.10.08 3196
2 MESCOM 01.06.07 3000
3 CESCO 01.06.07 3000
4 HESCOM Oct - 06 2766
5 GERSCOM 01.07.07 2967
4.0 During the MMR meeting held on 04.05.09 under the chairmanship of Principal
Secretary to Energy, Government of Karnataka, wherein MD, KPTCL & MDs of
all ESCOMs were present,. it was discussed in the meeting to explore the
possibility of preparing common SR applicable for all ESCOMs.
5.0 In the PC meeting of BESCOM held later on the same day the guidelines were
discussed for preparation of common SR and as directed following procedure is
adopted for preparing the common SR for 2009-10.
6.0 The work of updating the SR was entrusted to consultant Shri. B.V.Rudresh Exe.
Eng. Ele.,Rtd, who was entrusted with revision of SR for MESCOM, CESCO
and Shri. H.S. Chandrasekhara Exe.Eng. Ele., Rtd, & Co-ordinator to
TA & QC, BESCOM.
7.0 The following procedure is adopted for preparing common SR.
The schedule of rates has been prepared considering the following:
1. In respect of materials which have been procured by the ESCOMs during
the year 2008-09 the weighted average cost of the materials have been
2. For materials having PV clause the procurement rates are updated to
01.06.09 and weighted averages are worked out on the updated price.
3. For materials procured on firm price basis weighted average has been
worked out on the firm price only.
4. In respect of materials which have not been procured during the above
period average of the SR prices of prevailing SRs of all ESCOMs updated
to 01.06.09 are considered.
5. The prices are updated to 01.06.09 using the IEEMA/CACMAI circulars.
6. For other materials which are not covered under above, market rates are
7. For some of the items where the rates worked out in the above process
varied largely with the procurement prices, the procurement prices of the
orders issued recently are considered.
8. The excise duty has been reduced from 14 to 8% with effect from Feb - 2009.
This reduction in excise duty has been factored in to the rates proposed for
THE SR RATES ARE "FORD" INCLUSIVE OF APPLICABLE DUTIES,
TAXES AND FREIGHT & INSURANCE CHARGES.
1. The labour index as per the circular of the Commissioner of Labour in
Karnataka at 3528 for the period 01-04-09 to 31-03-09 has been considered to
revise the labour charges.
2. The labour charges for all the ESCOMs have been worked out to the
prevailing consumer price index of 3528 and the lowest of the labour
charges of all ESCOMs has been approved in common SR.
3. Considering the difficulties encountered in getting the labour force and the
difficulties in carrying out works in BESCOM areas it is approved to allow
an additional labour charges at 5 % for BESCOM over and above common
10.1 THE LABOUR CHARGRS DOES NOT INCLUDE ADDITIONAL
COMPONENTS SUCH AS SERVICE TAX, ESI & PF ETC., AND SHALL
BE INCLUDED IN THE ESTIMATE WHERVER APPLICABLE.
11 Special Locality Allowance
The special locality allowance already prevailing in various ESCOMs are
continued and the following Taluks are included for special locality
% special locality
Sl.No. Name of Zone Name of the Taluk
Hosakote & 5%
1. The list of places eligible for special locality allowance is detailed in
Annexure - A in page. No.
2: In case of civil works where KPWD SR rates are adopted, the locality
allowance as applicable KPWD SR shall be followed.
a. The prevailing rates of inspection of works by are revised vide No: E.N.71
EBS 2007, dated:28.08.08 by Energy Department, Government of Karnataka
and are duly enclosed in SR and instructed to include the relevant rates of
Electrical inspectorate charges in all estimates and DPRS to be prepared.
b. Road cutting, footpath cutting charges etc., payable to civic bodies shall be
included in the estimate.
1. The Common SR 2009-10 will come into effect from 01.08.09. This schedule
of rates is not applicable to REC works.
2. The squirrel ACSR conductor shall not be used for any new works (B.O. No.
B19/6723/95-96/21.06.2000 of KEB.
3. The Average span for new 11 KV lines in Urban areas shall be 40 Mtrs. In
Rural areas the average span length shall be 50 Mtrs. However the average
span will be 60 Mtrs. in respect of lines drawn to IP Sets.
Minimum size of the conductor to be used:
(A) 11 KV lines:
Minimum size of the conductor to be used for all new 11 KV lines shall be
Rabbit ACSR only.
(B) LT lines:
a) Urban areas: Minimum size of conductor to be used for phases
and neutral shall be Rabbit ACSR conductor.
b) Rural areas: The minimum size of conductor to be used shall
be Weasel for phases and neutral.
c) Only Weasel Conductor shall be used for Street Light Control,
Gangakalyana and water works.
(C) Usage of Poles:
1. 9 Mtrs RCC poles of 145 Kg WL and 8 Mtrs RCC pole WL of 115 KG
shall be used for dead ends, DP structures, Transformer Centers and
2. 9 Mtrs PSC poles with WL of 200 Kg shall be used as intermediate
poles in 9 Mtrs lines.
3. 8 Mtrs PCC pole with 140 Kg WL shall be used as intermediate poles
in 8 Mtrs line.
4. 9 Mtrs Long RCC pole with 150 Kg WL of square section shall be used
for erecting single pole transformer centers of capacity 25/63/100
7. For attending to the BREAK DOWN works for speedy restoration of Power
supply, payment of 25% additional Labour charges specified is continued.
(However this additional 25% shall be paid with the specific approval of the
Executive Engineer by way of O.M. and shall not be paid merely because it
is provisioned in the estimate).
8. Material code number for all materials have been provided in the SR and the
same has to be used while preparation of the estimate and in the indents.
9. All the field officers and inspecting officers should ensure that the materials
used shall conform to the relevant ISI specifications and the works executed
are in accordance with the approved drawings / stipulated norms. The UG
cable/PVC wires used for the work shall carry ISI markings.
10. Guy set includes Anchor Rod, Turn buckle, Guy wire, Strain insulator, Guy
clamp with Bolts, Nuts and Washers.
11. As per Government electrical inspectorate order No. CEG / D / T / 13306/86-
87 dated: 17.12.1986, E.G. Stirrups shall be used in the following locations:
a) Within the town / village limits.
b) In the factory premises.
12. Provision for:
a) ACSR conductor in the cost data sheet includes an additional
quantity of 1.5% of the requirement to cover the sag, binding
wire for binding conductor on the insulators and jumper
b) While working out the cost data sheet provision has been
made for all the materials and hence no separate provision
is made for conductor accessories.
c) All the necessary materials required for execution of work are included in
the cost data sheet. Hence contingencies at 3% on the estimate cost is only
to take care of unforeseen materials and labour and shall be paid at
actuals, only when incurred, with the specific approval of the Executive
Engineer, by way of issue of O.M.
13. Provision for inspectorate charge shall be made as a separate item in the estimate
as per the applicable rates. The current applicable rate of inspectorate charges is
provided in the SR.
14. For short lines less than 1 KM, the estimates shall be prepared as per actual
requirement of the materials.
15. If concreting of poles is required separate provision has to be made in
the estimate, at the rates provided in the SR.
a) 1:4:8 cement concrete has to be provided for base concreting,
i.e., for levelling the ground.
b) 1:2:4 cement concrete has to be provided for concreting
around the pole, foundation, superstructure, coping etc,.
16. All transformers above and inclusive of 25 KVA capacity are to be provided with
GOS and HG fuse units.
17. As per Board order No. KEB/308/3/(82-83) dated:25.02.1993 of KEB and as per
the decision of Technical Committee meeting held on 25.06.1993, 25/63/100
KVA transformer shall be provided with LT protection kit. Transformers with
250 KVA capacity and above shall be provided with LT distribution box with
MCCB. In city limits transformers with 100 KVA capacity shall be provided
with LT distribution box with MCCB, the rate for which has been furnished in
18. Cost data sheets for providing HT< over head lines, Aerial bunched cables,
distribution transformers centres for 63/100 KVA on single 9 Mtr. RCC poles
of square section, RLM unit for 25/63/100 KVA transformer centres, compact
RMUs & package sub-stations have been worked out and included in the SR for
easy reference. However any modification or addition / deletion may be
considered depending on the field conditions.
19. The LEC’s carrying out works on labour contract basis are authorized to
purchase small items at SR rates wherever the execution of the work is held
up due to non availability of such materials provided the cost of such
purchase is limited to 5% of the total estimated amount.
20. If the scrap value of the cable proposed to be released is less than the sum of
estimated labour for such release, Depreciated value of the cable, road cutting
charges payable to BMP and other civic bodies, then the releasing of the cable
need not be resorted to. Otherwise the releasing work has to be taken up as per
the prevailing rates in SR.
21. Labour charges for system improvement works such as replacement of poles,
replacement of conductor etc., have been provided separately.
22. Labour charges for releasing of materials shall be at 90% of the cost of erection.
(Please see Corporate Office circular No. BESCOM/BC-35/07-08/CYS-86/DT:
23.10.07) (See page No_____)
23. While executing the rconductoring work the released conductor shall be
returned to stores as credit in accordance with circular No. BESCOM/GM
(T)/BC-20/F-664/05-06/CYS-174, Dt: 10.01.06. (See page no. ______)
24. The following additional components have to be included while preparing
estimates for APDRP/Distribution works which are executed on turnkey basis:
a) Service tax @ 10.34% on labour cost.
b) IDC (Interest during Construction) @ 5% on materials + labour cost.
c) Transportation cost from Stores to site @ 2% on materials cost.
d) Watch and ward cost @ 1% on material cost.
e) Insurance charges @ 1% on material cost against theft & accidents.
f) Performance guarantee and loss of interest on margin money for Bank
Guarantee (BG) @ 2.5% of the value of BG.
g) Statutory charges as per actuals (For Inspectorate, Civic body etc.,)
h) Compensation cost as per approved norms for tree cutting, crop insurance
25. In estimates to be executed on labour contract basis, provision for
Provident Fund @ 12% and ESI (at the prevailing rates
wherever applicable) on Total Labour cost shall be included in the
estimate as a separate item.
Chief General Manager (Tech),