By: Trevor Delaney and
• Temperate Continental Climate
• Winter Temperatures -40 degrees F, -40
• Summer Temperatures 70 degrees
Fahrenheit ,37.78 degrees Celsius
• 10-30 inches or 25.4-76.2 centimeters of
rain per year
• Dry hot summers and cold winters
• Temperature affects grasslands because it
limits the amount of living things that can
• Water affects grasslands because all living
things need water to survive.
• Fires affect grasslands because they can
burn an area that afterward grows back
better than before.
• A producer is a something that makes food
using inorganic material. Buffalo grass,
sunflowers, and clover are producers in a
• A consumer is any living organism that obtains
its energy from organic substances produced by
other organisms.Bison, black footed ferrets, and
red tailed hawks are consumers in a temperate
• Decomposers are organisms that eat the dead
or decaying organisms. Earthworms,
mushrooms, and bacteria are grassland
• Bison are a large member of the bovine family
that graze the grasslands of the U.S. They affect
populations by keeping grasses in check and
• Coyotes are small predators in the canine family.
They affect populations by controlling small
animals and rodents.
• Grasses herbaceous plants with narrow leaves
growing from the base. They affect population
because they are a main food source for many
of the grassland organisms.
• Bison could compete for resources and
food. They live in large herds so this could
cause a drop in population if recources are
• Coyotes compete with one another for
food. There are limited amounts of small
animals to hunt so this could cause a drop
in the population of coyotes and small
• Jackrabbits and bison might compete over
food sources because they both eat
grasses. This could cause a decline in the
population of both species.
• Coyotes and hawks compete over food
because they both eat small animals and
rodents. This competition could cause
their populations to drop and the
population of small animals to drop also.
• Pollution is caused by humans in a variety of
ways. Pollution affects populations because
most organisms cannot live if pollution occurs.
• Fires can be caused naturally or by humans. It is
a big problem in grasslands because there is a
lot of fuel for the fire to bur. Fires can wipe out
the plants and animals of entire areas.
• Global warming is caused by greenhouse
gasses. It affects populations because it is
making areas to hot for most organisms to
Texas, United States
Kansas, United States
Kasas, United States