Battery Crest Name of Battery Battery Birthday
C Battery RHA 1 November 1793
The battery was formed at Woolwich as C Troop, on 1st November 1793. It fired its guns in anger for the first
time at Vinegar Hill, County Wexford. The Troop then fought in The Peninsular War and The Crimean War.
During the latter, it gained its most notable achievement when on 25th October 1854 it fought at the Battle of
Balaclava. After returning from duty at Inkerman, C Troop where preparing for a rest, when they were called upon
to provide further support to the Heavy Brigade (Cavalry) at Balaclava. After an exhaustive night ride over
treacherous terrain the Troop joined the battle and came into action immediately. When the Heavy Brigade
withdrew, the Troop continued to fire at the Russian forces, and the 49 rounds they fired was sufficient to stop the
advance of the Russian Calvary, which turned and fled the field. Balaclava day is still celebrated by the battery
every 25th October.
C Battery are currently attached to 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery in support of OP HERRICK 14.
Before they converted to the 105 mm Light Gun in preparation of their Mission Specific Training (MST), they
deployed to Canada (BATUS) for 3 months as part of 7th Armoured Brigade, and supported Exercise Prairie
Thunder 1 and 2 with AS90.
D Battery RHA 1st November 1794
D Battery RHA was formed as F Troop RHA in 1794 and first saw action as part of Wellington's army in the
peninsular, pursuing the French out of Spain. This was followed by playing a crucial role in the battle of Waterloo.
It was there that the battery was "hotly engaged in repulsing the attack on Hougement Farm." Apart from
suppressing the Chartists in 1839, along with the Hussars and Infantry, the battery spent the majority of the 19th
Century carrying out ceremonial duties and training. The two exceptions to this were in the suppression of the
Indian Mutiny 1857-1858 and the fight for Kabul during the Second Afghan War 1876. It was during the Indian
Mutiny that D Battery fought its most famous battle, Secundra Gunge, on 5th Jan 1858.
D Battery has recently returned from Operation HERRICK 12, where they were attached to 4th Regiment Royal
Artillery. They now begin a period of well-earned rest, before they return to work and catch up on Adventure
Training and courses, as well as converting back to the AS90.
J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery RHA 4th April 1805
J Battery RHA was formed as The Troop Madras Horse Artillery on the 4th April 1805 shortly afterward it was
renamed The 1st Half Squadron Madras HA. Having gained a succession of titles the Troop became J Battery in
1889. The battery saw service in France during World War One and in 1920 the battery moved to India and served
with 3 Brigade RHA. In April 1954, for its actions at Sidi Rezegh in November 1941, the battery was awarded its
As D/J Battery it was part of 3rd RHA at the start of the Second World War. It soon became J Battery again and
saw action throughout the North African campaign and in Italy. Equipped with the 2 Pounder Anti Tank guns the
battery found it-self hopeless outnumbered and outgunned during one of Rommel's 8th Afrika Korps Panzer
advances in the Western Desert, the battery took part in the siege of Tobruk until 21st September 1941 when it,
and M Battery, was evacuated by sea to rejoin 3 RHA.
Over the past 20 years the battery has seen service in Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan.
M (Headquarters) Battery RHA 23rd January 1809
On the 23rd January 1809 the Madras Horse Artillery was augmented to three troops, it then received a fresh
increase on the 1st May 1810. The unit was denominated the squadron of Horse Artillery and formed into 2
troops, A and B troop (who were later to become J and M Battery RHA respectively).
In 1993 the battery was resurrected and combined with HQ Battery 3 RHA to become M (HQ) Battery RHA. Most
recently the battery has deployed as the headquarters element of 3 RHA on operational tours in Northern Ireland,
Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq and Cyprus.
N Battery (The Eagle Troop) 24 March 1842
The battery was formed in India as the 1st Troop Bombay Horse Artillery in the early part of the eighteenth
century, along with L Battery, and served with distinction on the Indian Sub-continent for over 100 years. The
battery forged its reputation at the Battle of Hyderabad on 24th March 1842. Again the batteries exploits were
decisive in the outcome of the battle. Here the Troop took part in a decisive Cavalry and Artillery Charge, which
turned the flank of a 40,000 strong native Army. At the same time Her Majesty's 22nd Regiment of Foot (The
Cheshire Regiment) attacked the enemy at a total cost of only 270 British lives compared with the enemy's losses
of between six and eight thousand. Quick actions by the guns under command of Major J T Leslie, enabled the
General Napier's forces to inflict staggering losses on the enemy with minimal British casualties. The battery was
subsequently awarded the title "The 1st or Leslie's Troop Horse Artillery" by the Governor General of India.
On 1st July 2006, N Battery (The Eagle Troop) RHA regained its separate identity and was moved back to 3rd
Regiment Royal Horse Artillery in Hohne, Germany. N Battery (The Eagle Troop) commonly known as the
Tactical Group Battery is the 4th Tactical Group, which doctrinally support the Brigade Formation
Reconnaissance Regiment. They have recently deployed as part of J (Sidi Rezegh) Battery on Operation
HERRICK 13, as part of 7 Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery.