Who will be the Winner of the Battle
between PDP, LCD and Projection?
by Prof. Dr. Ir. Harm Tolner
FPD Technology Overview
by Harm Tolner
Which Display Will Win?
Bruce Berkhoff (LPL)
• …We will swamp the PDPs ….
• ….. 30-40 TFT’s will displace plasmas …
• …. (plasmas) don’t have the brightness,
they have burn in problems ……
Kazuya Yamamoto, an analyst with UFJ
Tsubasa Securities Co:
• ….In the U.S. demand for plasma displays
televisions is exceeding liquid crystal
Source: Drawing by Bonnie from “The Clock” • ….Fujitsu Hitachi had no choice but to
build a new PDP plant, with rival
companies accelerating production
Set prices CES 2004
Set price in USD 25000 PDP
10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
Set 'Visible' Diagonal size
PROJECTION – THE NEW WAVE ?
• Rear projection becomes new TV battleground,
according to iSuppli……
• Major Taiwan Flat Panel Manufacturers focusing on
LCOS TV Technology…….
• Lower-Priced Projection TV Outshines Plasma Hype…
• Thomson RCA/InFocus - 61-inch RPTV that is only 6.85
• TV makers such as Philips Electronics and Sony Corp.
(SNE) have dabbled in LCoS chips for their own TVs……
• Intel - Unveiled its LCOS technology for RPTVs….and
Samsung developed high-definition PDP televisions of 80-inch and 102-inch diagonal size
Resolution of 1,920×1,080 pixels, a brightness of 1,000-candela-per-square-meter and a contrast ratio of > 2,000:1
Luminance lifetime of PDP
• 60,000 hours in video mode
• Guaranteed by 3 companies
Luminance Degradation with Life
Luminance ( cd/m^2 )
37 inch Diagonal
0 5,000 10,000 15,000 20,000 25,000 30,000 35,000 40,000
Operation Time ( Hours )
Luminance maintenance of 50-inch PDP (Pioneer, SID04),compared with a 37-inch
Burn-in images on a 37-LCD-TV
0H 2000H 5000H 7000H (Mura)
Much darker areas near
seven dark lines(14-15
Full white CCFL lamps)
• peak luminance 400 cd/m2, 140 W, 23C
• no power saving, 24 hours, 7 days per week
• switched 168 times every week
LCD makers compare LCD and PDP by the value of
maximum power consumption.
Maximum power consumption is a measure for power-line safety (line
capability /safety breaker), but it is not a measure of actual (effective) power
The actual power consumption however is determined by the “annual power
consumption” ,as defined in Japan.
This measure should be applied to compare the power consumption of displays.
Annual power consumption =
((Operating power) - (Save power by power saving mode) x 1/4) x 1642.5
+ (Stand-by power) x 7117.5
The average power consumption for TV use is calculated as follows;
Operating power = (White display power + Black display power) x 1/2
Stand-by power = (Power at main switch off + Power at remote switch off) x 1/2
Save power by power saving mode = Operating power - Power at saving mode)
Relation between screen area and power consumption
Annual power consumption
350 3 Gen Pioneer
300 4 Gen Pioneer
Lower than LCD-TV
Same screen size
0 15 22 30 34 43 50(diagonal2)
LCD-TV Improvement of Image Defects requires
higher power consumption and higher cost
Large Screen : Same size LCD-TV will not be lower power consumption than PDP TV.
High Image Quality
Improvement of Image retention requires:
Black screen insert = Decrease of luminance
→ Increase of back light number → Increase of power consumption
→ Increase of lamp luminance → Shorter lamp lifetime
Back light blinking = Decrease of luminance
→ Increase of lamp luminance → Shorter lamp lifetime or higher cost (LED)
Increase of peak luminance:
(Peak luminance of TV picture does not reach the value of catalogue
Increase of lamp luminance → Increase of power consumption
→ Shorter lamp lifetime
Improve luminance uniformity:
(low luminance on outer screen area)
Increase of back light number → Increase of power consumption & Cost up
Improvement by optical diffuser → Cost up
Improvement of luminous efficacy of PDP
(panel power reduction)
2 200 η(experiment)
1 100 η(product)
1985 1980 1985 1990 1995 2000 2005 2010年 This figure shows
対向型 Surface discharge that luminous
Two-electrode type Three-electrode type efficacy will
Front phosphor layer Reflective phosphor layer increase
He-Xe Ne-Xe continuously in
Low Xe content (1％) Xe (5％) High Xe (>10％) the near future.
LCD is Not a high quality display for movies at home !
When does LCD seem to be beautiful?
• In brightly illuminated show rooms
• A bright environment hides the gradation in a dark picture.
• Appealing thanks to low ambient light reflectivity.
• A picture with perfect black is important for watching movies
• Customers in Japan are not satisfied when they purchase an LCD-TV and
watch movies at home.
• The LCD black surface seems bluish and a human face seems pale-white
• PDP has perfect black at home
Contrast of an LCD-TV
Dark room contrast ratio (horizontal direction) Bright room (at 100 lx) contrast ratio (horizontal
LCD 50 LCD PDP
-80-70-60-50-40-30-20-10 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 -80-70-60-50-40-30-20-10 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
Viewing Angle（deg.） Viewing Angle（deg.）
For LCD, in dark environment black image seems For LCD, in bright environment black image seems
whitish and from oblique direction the effect whitish from oblique direction.
The quality of the image of PDP’s does not change with viewing angle.
The quality of an LCD changes with viewing angle.
Such a display is not good for large area TV in a living-room!
Response time of LCD versus PDP
Company A Company P
（ 30-in.) (43-in)
of luminance 40～50ms
High change of independent)
luminance (but 40ms including
after response ）
New generation PDP address driver modules
(address power reduction)
COM (Chip On Metal) TCP (Tape Carrier Package)
2nd generation 4th generation
New driver IC’s for PDP with 192 outputs: $2 per IC. The total cost of
data driver ICs for a High Definition PDP is now only $ 60
Gen 7 Magic ?
• So what magic will result from even larger
substrates in Gen 7 ????
• New PDP factories already uses that
substrate size (180 x 230 cm)! Two years
ahead of LCD!
• LCD Materials cost is dominant and this
will not be reduced by Gen 7 lines !
Cost Roadmap 42-inch HDTV PDP-TV and LCD-TV
Result: 8 million PDP panels in 2007
0.8 PDP TV
’02 ’03 ’04 ’05 ’06 ’07 ’08 ’09 ’10 Year
(LCD curve adapted to include
the effect of 7G-LCD lines)
PDP will be the Winner
of the 42-inch Battle
PDP and LCD
,from any point of view: Luminance life
• Many people have contributed to this comparison of PDP with LCD
• I thank especially Dr Uchidoi of Pioneer for providing data from Pioneer and Larry
Weber for providing a critical analysis of PDP versus LCD
• Adaptation of the original material has been done by Harm Tolner and the compilation
presented here is the copyright of Harm Tolner, and can only be further used by
referring to this publication.
• Any conclusions from the data in this report is at the sole responsibility of the reader.
• Harm Tolner, nor any one else mentioned in this report, can be held liable for the
correctness or completeness of the information given in this report.
• Harm Tolner invites readers to send additional data for further comparison of PDP and
• Eindhoven, 3 February 2005