Bear Creek Watershed Council by uW93cO

VIEWS: 14 PAGES: 5

									                                 Bear Creek Watershed Council
                                           Minutes
                               Monday, January 8, 2007 @ 8:30 am
                      Location: Conference Room No. 151, Lausmann Annex, City of Medford.
   Attendees: Leonard Duncan, Richard Best, Robert Frey, Keith Emerson, Bill Meyers, Rose Marie Davis, John Mac
  Diarmid, John Ward, Keith Corp, Savon Haynes, Susan Cross, Heidi Buettenr, Roger Thom, Jay Doino, Steve Mason,
                                Maynard Flohaug, Laura Hodnett, and Beth Franklin.

Introductions & Sign-in:
        Review and approval of December 11, 2006 meeting minutes. John Ward moved to approve the December
           11 minutes Laura Hodnett seconded the motion. The BCWC discussed the location of culverts identified by
           Paul Kangas and asked Beth Franklin to clarify that discussion in the minutes. Pending those changes the
           BCWC unanimously approved the minutes.
        Approval of Agenda. The BCWC approved the 1/8/07 agenda with no changes.
       Monday –January 8, 2007 Rose Marie Davis, Project Manager, reported on Ashland Creek
       Delsman\Griswold Diversion Retrofit and Restoration Project-
       Rose Marie Davis furnished Directions to the site:
       From I-5 North Ashland exit turn onto Eagle Mill Road, follow Eagle Mill to Oak Street turn right onto
       Nevada Street, at the dip on Nevada street is the site, it is fenced and the fish screen on Ashland Creek is
       visible. From Helman Street turn right at the Ashland Greenhouses, and find Ashland Creek. The site is
       on Ashland Parks land along Ashland Creek’s riparian corridor.
       See project write-up attached.
       Project Discussion, Questions and Answers:
       The project started on 8/4/06 and was completed on 8/28/06.
       Lessons learned from the project: Rose Marie noted that this was a project that worked well due to the
       commitment of the partners involved including ODFW, USFS, RFF, Ashland Parks, City of Ashland,
       contractors and volunteers.
       The public accessibility of the site makes it available for educators from Helman school and other
       Ashland schools to provide education opportunities to their students.
       Rose Marie noted that this project might also provide the basis for future projects along Ashland Creek.
       Richard Best noted that there are 5 possible additional sites along Ashland Creek for restoration project
       possibilities. The lowest barrier along Ashland Creek may be the highest priority for removal at this
       point. Another barrier mentioned for removal by Jay Doino was the Jackson County Reiten Road
       retrofit at Neil Creek.
       Richard Best asked who owns the easement near the mouth of Ashland Creek for removal of the lowest
       barrier along that creek.
       The BCWC discussed this and Rose Marie noted that it is probably on Griswold tax lot and may be an
       undocumented easement. The address for the Griswold property is 1875 Griswold. Richard Best asked
       Keith Corp to check with TID board to see if they can determine the owner of the easement to see
       whether this barrier on Ashland Creek could be removed. Laura Hodnett noted that she could also
       research the tax parcel number.
       Jay Doino noted that he will survey Ashland Creek for Coho adults this year.

Reports & Committee Business
        Executive Committee
       Executive Committee Activities
        Richard Best, was introduced as the new chair of the Bear Creek Watershed Council.
          Richard awarded Steve Mason with the 2006 BCWC recognition award for Outstanding Project
           Management on the Larson Creek project.
          Richard announced that the BCWC is recruiting people for the positions of Chair-elect 2008 and
           Treasurer the BCWC has appointed a committee of John Ward, Keith Emerson, Craig Harper
           Richard Best and Jim Hill to have a recruitment meeting 1/9/07 at Black Bear Diner 10:30 a.m.
                                                                                                                      1
    BCWC workplan meeting, Richard Best, John Ward, and Keith Emerson, will meet on 1/9/07 at
    Keith’s office at Bear Creek Corporation
   Richard reported that there will be a Jackson County public Meeting Regarding Aggregate Mining,
    Medford Central Library, January 10, 2007 5:30 p.m.
            Richard Best has compiled a report of the aggregate mining operations along the Bear Creek
    corridor and noted the general need for compliance with agency regulations, by the Aggregate
    Mining industry. He noted that Jackson County will not hear proposals for expansion until
    violations are addressed. Richard offered to make copies of the report available to those interested.
    Beth Franklin made a sign-up sheet for people who would like to receive copies of the report.
    Maynard noted that it will be important for the BCWC to stay true to its mission and see how
    BCWC may be of assistance with compliance. Keith Emerson noted that the Council has a history
    of trying to make win-win situations in problem solving and that the BCWC can provide good
    information about restoration and appropriate bioengineering techniques for aggregate monitoring
    and that the Council should address the County and the industry in a positive manner and try to be a
    part of the solution to this complex problem.
   Grants – OWEB
       Richard reported that the CS Grant was submitted Dec 15, 2006 Copies available for review.
   501(c)3 Update
       Beth Franklin noted that the 501 (c) 3 application was completed and Jim Hill was signing it and
       preparing it to be submitted.

   Finance Committee
   *Report on Finances-Roger Thom reported the following:
        $17,500 Council Support Payments
        $11,700 Ashland Creek Delsman/Griswold Project
               Rose Marie asked if the monies donated from the Rogue Flyfishers for the (RFF) were returned to
        the RFF, could they be used for another project? John MacDiarmid and John Ward replied that they
        would check with the RFF. In the meantime Rose Marie will write a Disbursement request for Roger
        Thom to return the money to the RFF.

   Outreach Committee
   Outreach activities-
               John Ward reported that Paul Hosten will be presenting a talk to the Jacksonville Woodlands on
       1/18/07 to further refine his documentation of historic vegetation in the Rogue Valley.
       Outreach Committee meeting- John Ward reported that the Outreach Committee met in December and
       shared the proposed Outreach calendar (see attached) for 2007 with the BCWC.
               BCWC Speakers and Community Calendar- Beth Franklin shared the BCWC speakers and
       community calendar with the BCWC. She asked for input for future speakers for upcoming BCWC
       meetings and noted that Randy White is scheduled for February and she will reach Frank Schnitzer of
       DOGAMI and ask about his availability for March.
   Reports
        *Report on Riparian Technical Assistance Grant – St. Mary’s planting on Larson Creek, set-up meeting
        for February to discuss additional sites for 2008. Beth Franklin reported that she had been to the St.
        Mary’s site on 1/2/06 with Greg Stabach, Craig Harper, Mark Grenbemer, Wayne Kauzlerich and Jerry
        Burke to see how the project was progressing. A portion of the site had been planting and the remainder
        had been cleared of Blackberries, Jerry and his students will be planting the site later this year.
        Beth noted that she had received a call from Heather Tugaw asking that the BCWC Riparian Site
        Evaluation Team convene a meeting in February to identify the next 8 sites to consider for restoration
        project work.
        *Instream Flow Committee meeting- John Ward reported that the Instream Flow committee had met in
        December and is compiling maps and will be asking landowners to attend upcoming meetings to
                                                                                                                  2
               determine possibilities to return flows to Neil Creek. Beth asked the BCWC if a date for the next WISE
               meeting is scheduled for January, in order to schedule the next Instream Flow Committee and
               accommodate Steve Parrett’s schedule. Steve Mason noted that there were not any WISE meetings
               scheduled for January as the WISE committee is waiting for the Senate to pass a bill to authorize the
               WISE project to seek funds. Beth noted that she would schedule the next meeting with Steve Parrett and
               the Instream Flow Committee.
               *Ashland Watershed Update- Assessment Timeline
                        John Ward has been working on contract language, and sought and received approval of the
               contract content at the 1/2/07 EC meeting. He also shared a timeline for the Ashland Watershed
               Assessment.
               *Larson Creek Restoration Update- South Fork Larson Creek planting.
                        Steve Mason noted that there had been some settling of the weirs and that he and the BOR
               engineer were aware of this and are monitoring it.
                        Beth noted that she had stopped by the South Fork to take pictures of the site and noted that it had
               been planted. RVCOG would be doing some monitoring there in the next week or so, and Heather
               mentioned that a few trees had been washed out by high waters.

Partner reports-

ODFW- Jay Doino- Gold Ray Dam- Steelhead counts are 120% of 10 year average
Coho are 80% of 10 year average. Salmon Counts are available on ODFW’s website.
Surveys will be conducted in 2007 on Ashland Creek and on Bear Creek above North Mountain Park.
ODFW will be having a Spring Chinook Conservation plan, public meeting from 7-9 p.m. on January 30 at the
Jackson County Auditorium. Jay will be doing smolt trapping in Williams Creek this year.
The BCWC asked if Jay knew of the results of Aaron Maxwell’s studies in Bear Creek. Jay noted that Aaron
had mentioned that continued minnow trapping would be useful. The BCWC discussed whether minnow
trapping would be a good education project for students. Susan Cross mentioned that she had worked with
students to do this in the past and that it would be possible to train volunteers to do it. Richard Best asked if
pole-seining sampling is done? Jay noted that it depends on the data need, distribution and types of fish.
The BCWC noted it would consider minnow trapping as a potential student project, for JNC or Oregon
Stewardship, or other interested educators.
City of Medford- Roger Thom- Roger and Maynard noted that public hearings on Stormwater Management
Plans will be held for the City of Medford on January 18 at RVS and at January 25 in Ashland.
WISE- The WISE project is waiting for senate authorization of the project for the BOR to conduct the EIS.
The BOR will then work on funding the project and the EIS should be completed in a year. The Agricultural
committee of the BCWC will be heavily involved with the WISE project.
KBO- Bob Frey reported that KBO will be expanding its Bird Monitoring Stations and adding a station at the
Jefferson Nature Center for bird banding and mist-netting. KBO will be partnering on Outreach programs with
JNC.
RVSS- Maynard Flohaug reported that the first stormwater feature was installed near the intersection of Green
Valley and Gebhard Road in Central Point.
This structure is intended to reduce sediments and materials from stormwater.
The Stormwater Action Team will be meeting to set up training programs on 1200 C permit projects for Central
Point, Talent, White City and areas of Jackson County.
Maynard noted that he would like to set-up an official speakers bureau to attend educational events such as:
Kids and Bugs, Chicos Latinos. Maynard is working with RVCOG to calendar dates of events and would also
appreciate any input from the BCWC.
Maynard is working with developers and contractors to form agreements to meet water quality standards during
the installation\construction of developments.
Richard Best asked if there is monitoring of water quality on the stormwater device that has been installed?
Maynard noted that there has been no scientific monitoring, however, observations of debris, etc will be done in
conjunction with maintenance, and the cities are required to document maintenance.


                                                                                                                          3
The purpose of installing the devices is to reduce sediment and for the cities to receive credits for sediment
reduction.


SWCD- Keith Emerson reported that the Jackson County SWCD would be having its annual meeting on 2/9/07
at 6:30 p.m. at the Hanley Road OSU Experiment station.
The SWCD has also received funding from a tax bond passed in November 2006.
Richard Best anticipates it will have more staffing to work cooperatively with the BCWC.
Randy White is scheduled in February to update the BCWC on the activities of the SWCD.
BCWEP- Heidi Buettner reported that BCWEP will be hosting Terry Eubanks 2/1/07 at Talent Middle School to
demonstrate the Bear Creek Virtual Tour Model and asked BCWC to attend and provide input for this project. It’s
anticipated completion date is in 4/07. BCWEP has set the 2007 BCWEP symposium date for 5/10/07 at SOU. This year’s
symposium will feature student and community art work.
DEQ- the Bear Creek TMDL is being released today 1/8/07 for public comment, the comment period will end 3/9/07. \
The TMDL document is available at on the DEQ website or at public libraries for comment. The DEQ will receive
comment via their website at: bearcreekcomments@deq.state.or.us
JNC- JNC has received programming grants for the 4th winter and spring seasons. In addition, JNC has received a
community incentive grant for house renovation.
HWI- HWI will be meeting to discuss the Riparian Outdoor School, select sites and calendar 5 days of collaborative
programming. Laura Hodnett noted JNC featured in a recent newspaper article.
RBCC- the next RBCC meeting will be held at ODFW January 30 at 1:30 p.m.
Agriculture- Keith Corp reported that there is an extreme hay shortage this winter. This is due to the differences in water
allocation in the Colorado River Basin. California farmers shifted crops to more water conserving varieties and did not
grow as much alfalfa, therefore shifting hay demand to local suppliers. This winter water resources are looking good
precipitation is normal or above normal.
Jackson County- Leonard Duncan reported that Jackson Creek at Grant road has been monitored by RVCOG. RVCOG
is working on a monitoring report. Heather and Leonard noted that for some reason willows did not take, however, alders
are doing well on this site.
Jackson County road improvements at Rapp Road in Talent are in compliance with water quality standards with 9 sump
inlets along the new road.
Jackson County will be working on fish passage barrier removal at Hanley Road in 2008 and in 2009 Ross Lane.

Comments, Announcements & Agenda suggestions for future meetings
No comments.

The meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Beth Franklin, BCWC Coordinator.




                                                                                                                         4
                        SECTION V-Accomplishments and Proposed Activities
               Ashland Creek Delsman/Griswold Diversion Retrofit and Restoration Project

#206-       Council Role: X lead  supporting                      Category (element) 1      2     3    4      5
288___ advisory
_
Brief Description: A push-up dam used for irrigation water from Ashland Creek blocked upward migrating
juvenile fish and downward migrating smolts during irrigation season.. Up-migrating adult winter steelhead
were also affected if the dam was not removed at the end of the irrigation season. This barrier reduced the
amount of habitat available to fish, thus reducing overall fish production.
Measurable Outcome(s):1) Fish passage is provided for all life stages of all species at all flows and meets
ODFW and NOAA criteria for passage. Annual disturbance to the stream of constructing and removing the
push-up dam is eliminated. 2) Blackberries removed for construction have been replaced by native vegetation.
3) The project site is on Ashland Parks and Recreation land, thus contributing to Ashland’s parks and trails
plan. 4) The project site is less than a block from Helman Elementary School. Helman teachers have been
involved in the riparian restoration with the goal of using the site for teaching purposes. (All Ashland school
libraries were provided with copies of Jay Nicholas’ The Oregon Plan for Salmon and Watersheds -Boiled
down for a little fish, as were all school libraries in Jackson County by the Jackson Soil and Water
Conservation District .)
Coordinator role: XBoard/council coordination  activity planning  activity management coordination
with landowners grant writing fiscal management volunteer coordination  other ____________
Partner/ roles: Ashland Parks and Recreation Department furnished and hauled granite boulders for the project;
installed an irrigation system to insure survival of riparian planting, provided guidance from obtaining the
needed Ashland Planning Department permit, working with the City Fire Marshall to hauling the debris from
the construction clean-up to the landfill. Rogue Aggregates donated the basalt rock used in the project. Su
Maiyo of USFS wrote and received a RAC grant which funded half of the materials and supplies for the
riparian irrigation system, funded the vegetation for the riparian planting and paid for hauling of the basalt rock
from the quarry to the site. Jay Doino of Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife brought the project to Bear
Creek Watershed Council’s Restoration Committee’s attention, worked on the grant application, made
application for the DSL/COE permits and wrote a portion of the Ashland Planning Department permit. Patrick
McGowan, BOR engineer assigned to the Rogue Basin, developed the plans for the project, developed a portion
of the City of Ashland Planning Department permit. Richard Anderson of Disabilities Recreation Project,
provided invaluable help with his extensive knowledge of construction with LTM and his extraordinary fund-
raising ability to obtain contributions of cement work for the irrigation headgate and a large backhoe. Rogue
Flyfishers donated $3,000. Todd Marthoski of M&M Services went far beyond the construction of the weir for
which he was paid by bringing in equipment for fire fighting that far surpassed that required, enabling the
project to proceed calmly and safely. Marthoski also addressed the main irrigator’s concerns about the use of
the headgate and protecting it from vandalism during non-irrigation season. Talent Irrigation District worked
with McGowan in securing the sliding gate needed for the irrigation diversion structure. D&C erosion
consulting also participated in helping to write up erosion control plans.
Member/volunteer roles: Bear Creek Watershed Council members participated in riparian planting and fiscal
management. Don Todt, head horticulturist for Ashland Parks and Recreation Department, developed the plan
for the riparian planting and coordinated with Dan Bish of Plant Oregon in obtaining the plant materials and
readying the site for volunteers from Bear Creek Watershed Council, Rogue Flyfishers, Ashland Schools and
the community to do the planting.
Status X completed         ______% complete               on-going, routine  planned for 2007-2009




                                                                                                                  5

								
To top