Nuclear Chemistry Webquest Group Members:
Part 1 - Go to: http://www.doh.wa.gov/Hanford/publications/overview/genetic.html
Find the section titled How Radiation Can Harm a Cell and list four ways that radiation can harm a cell.
Then find the section titled Effects of Radiation Exposure before Birth and list the effects of pre-birth
Part 2 – Go to http://library.thinkquest.org/3471/radiation_effects_body.html
Answer the following questions:
1. What are the commonly used units to measure radiation dosage?
2. What is considered a lethal dose of radiation?
3. What are some of the common effects of radiation exposure?
4. What specifically happened to people in Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
5. What happened to the people of Chernobyl?
Part 3 – Go to: https://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiation/around-us/calculator.html
Calculate the Personal Annual Radiation Dose for at least one of your group members. What is
How much does the NRC allow you to be exposed to each year? ________________
Part 4 – Go to: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=gennuclear
1. How is nuclear medicine useful in diagnosing illnesses?
2. How is nuclear medicine useful in treating illnesses?
Part 5: Use you searching skills to list the pros and cons of irradiated food.