Jumping Frog of Calaveras
Presented by M. Etheredge
Tanner High School
Realism, Naturalism, Regionalism
• Realism & Naturalism focus on every day
characters and events. Naturalism goes a
step further and emphasizes the poor and
down-trodden. Naturalists believe that
people are at the mercy of nature and their
• Regionalism focuses on the people,
setting, and dialects of a specific area.
• AKA- Samuel Clemens
• wrote mostly about the
Deep South, especially
• used the southern dialect
to highlight his characters
• Often used an educated narrator to highlight
Legacy of Twain
Read the story
• Look for examples of dialect.
• Look for proof that this story could be
considered typical of the setting.
• Pay attention to who the characters and
narrators are during the story
Answer the following questions:
• Provide one example of dialect in the story.
• Explain how your example is used by Twain to
add humor to the story.
• Who are the two narrators of this story?
• What is the purpose of the first narrator?
• Who are the following characters? (Do not
describe them. Define them.)
The narrator Leonidas Smiley Jim Smiley
Simon Wheeler Andrew Jackson Dan’l Webster
• At the end of Twain’s story, the narrator cuts
Simon Wheeler off as Wheeler begins to tell
another Smiley tale about the one-eyed cow.
• Finish telling this story. Make a video of your
story. You may use puppets, clay-mation, or
animation. Be sure you imitate Twain’s style.
Claymation Claymation Made Easy
• Videos from Youtube.Com