ECE 313 Fall 04
– How have children changed physically
during the primary years?
– What are they able to do well now that
they were just learning before
– Be able to determine whether physical
milestones are normal development or
What major health problems affect
What is the leading health problem in
What is the fasting growing health
problem in young children? Why?
What does poverty have to do with
health issues in children?
How does health effect schooling?
What can we do as teachers to
ensure children are healthy?
Injury and Violence
What is the leading cause of injury in
an elementary school environment?
Is violence a factor in children’s
growth and development? How and
– Resilient children
Dynamic systems theory- motor,
cognition and behavior are linked.
Play in primary
– Teachers, parents, administrators,
– Discussions of taking recess out of
– Some of you will be for it some against.
– Your goals is to convince others for or
Why is play important?
– Functional Play
Organization and role assignments
– Rough and tumble
– Pretend Play
– Games with rules
Threats to play
Should children with special physical
needs be included in physical
activity? Why? How?
– Behavior vs learning disorders
– How can we accommodate ADHD in our
Spend first part of class on infant
Second part on exam
Do not need scantron
What questions do you have from