Name:_____________________________ Class:________________ Date:______________________
OCEANS WEBQUEST TASK SHEET
You are in charge of a new exploration to learn about the ocean floor, waves, currents, and tides. You
will be traveling on the Internet Highway to gather information. You are to complete this webquest so you may
create a Scratch project which answers the essential question: What are the causes of waves, currents, and tides?
THE COMPLETED SCRATCH PROJECT IS DUE FRIDAY, FEB. 5, 2010.
Your task sheet will contain the web addresses for sites you need to visit. The sites are also listed on my website
under “Links.” Answer the questions about tides, currents, and waves, and how the relationship of the sun and the
moon affect Earth’s tides. You will also answer questions about the ocean floor. These answers will all be recorded
on your task sheet. At some websites you will not have any questions to answer; instead, you will be given a task to
perform. You may go on a virtual dive to learn about the ocean floor or construct a chart. When you have
completed the task sheet, you will create the Scratch project. Students may choose to work independently, or in
pairs, as approved by Mrs. Bryant.
A grade will be given on your task sheet according to the correct number of answers. Use your task sheet
as a reference to complete the Scratch project. You will also receive a grade on the Scratch project. A rubric will
given to you for this project. Good luck on your exploration!!
1. The size of a wave depends on _______________________________________________________________
2. What is wave length?_______________________________________________________________________
3. What is wave frequency?____________________________________________________________________
4. Waves travel _____________ water; they do not take _________________ with them.
5. Tsunamis are sometimes called tidal waves, and are different from surface waves. They are usually caused by
6. What do you call the circular patterns in which the world’s oceans travel? _____________
7. What body of water can these patterns be compared to?____________________________
8. What else causes currents to flow? ___________________________
9. Do all currents have the same characteristics? ___________
10.What makes them different? _____________________________________________________________
11. Describe the Gulf Stream by its characteristics. ______________________________________________
12. .Besides cold water what does the Humboldt current normally bring to the surface?
13. For what are currents responsible? ________________________________________________________
14 .Major ocean currents maintain their paths like___________________________.
15.Give a definition of tides and explain how what causes them.___________________________________
16. Tides are created because the Earth and the moon are _____________ _____ __________ _________,
just like __________ are attracted to each other. The moon tries to pull at anything on the ______ to bring it
__________. But, the Earth is able to hold onto everything ____________ ____ ___________. Since the
water is always moving, the Earth cannot ______ onto it, and the moon is able to ______ at it.
17. The side of the Earth that is facing the moon is where it is _________ tide. That is where the moon is
___________ at the water. Since the Earth is _________, the area that the moon is pulling at changes. That is
why the tides _________. If you are at the beach, and the moon is pulling on the ocean there, it will be
________ tide. If the moon is pulling at the ocean somewhere else, then it will be _____ tide at the beach where you
18. How do we know that the water nearest to the moon forms a bulge? _________________________
19. Where else does the water form a bulge? _________________________________________
20. How many tides are there each day? ___________________________________
21. How much time is there between tides? _______________________
22. What is the average depth of the ocean?_____________________________________
23. What is the deepest point and where is it?____________________________________________
24. What is the highest mountain and where is it?_________________________________________
25. What is the Coriolis effect?___________________________________________________________
Based on your answers to these questions, create a Scratch project which shows ONE of the following:
1) What causes waves? Be sure to include what influences wave size, how wave energy acts as the wave approaches the
shore, and how water particles move in a wave. You may include other topics, also.
2) What causes tides? Be sure to include the relationship of Earth and the moon, and describe the daily and monthly
3) What causes currents? Be sure to include the difference between surface and deep water currents and how currents