Make flash cards for any words
you don’t know.
to differentiate between two or
Because of the fog, I was barely
able to discern the shore.
intense dislike; to treat with
scorn or contempt
Never having had to do manual
labor, he disdained the idea of
working on his car.
to degrade; to speak of in a
His disparaging remarks about
the girl caused her not to get the
inequality; unequal in age, rank,
There was an obvious disparity in
the ages of the girl and her
She would embellish her face with
lots of make-up.
Feeling loving, especially in a sexual
To attack with words or force
To confirm; to back up with evidence
Proper; in good taste
Intended to teach; morally instructive
Lacking harmony or agreement
To swell; to extend
To annoy thoroughly
To speed up the progress of
Brilliant; giving off heat or light
To place side by side
A wise man; to be wise through
experience and reflection
To examine very carefully
Lacking ideas or intelligence
Highly unstable; explosive
• Play like Million Dollar Pyramid
– Partner guessing has back to screen so
he/she CANNOT see words
– Partner giving clues faces screen so he/she
CAN see words
– On command, clue giver gives guesser clues
to help partner guess the word on the
– Once partner guesses correctly, move on to
the next word
– After all words are guessed correctly,
change positions for new set of words
How’d You Do?
• Make sure you study any words you
• You will be quizzed and tested on all of
the words we learn in class.