Name: _____________________________________ Class Period: _____
“Ill-Equipped Rescuers Dig Out Volcano Victims; Aid Slow to Reach Colombian
by Bradley Graham
1. In what newspaper, and on what date did this story appear? ____________________________
2. What natural disaster had occurred? ____________________________________
3. What were two major difficulties for relief workers and those trying to help?
4. Approximately how many people died? _________________ Approximately how many people
were living in the town? _______________
5. Between _____________ and ____________ people were trapped alive.
6. What is/was the plan to search for the living and those still trapped? _____________________
7. Describe Efrain Gomez Primo.
What is his occupation? _____________________
What happened to him (how did he get trapped) _____________________________
Did he live? _______
8. Describe Omayra Sanchez. Omayra is named Azucena in the short story “And of Clay are We Created” by
Isabelle Allende. Pay close attention to the details shared about her, as this news article was the basis for Allende’s
short story. After reading both the article AND the short story, we will compare/contrast the two.
What was the first obstacle for her rescue? ____________________________________
What did she look like? ____________________________________________________
What do we know about the rescue worker? ___________________________________
Did she live? ______
9. How did the Red Cross chief say Omayra Sanchez’s situation made him/all the workers feel?
10. In preparation for reading “And of Clay are We Created,” read Allende’s biography on p. 314.
What did Allende see in Sanchez’s eyes? ____________________________________________