Momentum Worksheet Packet
1. What is the momentum of a 1200 kg truck traveling at
a speed of 25 m/s?
2. A 10 kg deer is running with 120 kg·m/s of momentum.
What is the deer’s velocity?
3. A 750 kg racecar slowed from 32 m/s to 15 m/s, what
was its change in momentum?
4. If the car from #3 took 3s to slow down from 32 m/s to 15 m/s.
• a) What was the impulse?
• b) What was the average force applied by the breaks?
5. A truck hits a brick wall with a force of 120N. The collision takes 1.3
seconds. What is the impulse of the impact?
6. A billiard ball collides with another ball with a force of 30 N after
rolling for 3 seconds. What is the impulse during the collision?
7. A tennis ball traveling at 10.0 m/s is returned by Venus Williams. It
leaves her racket with a speed of 36.0 m/s in the opposite direction
from which it came.
a. What is the change in momentum of the tennis ball?
b. If the 0.060kg ball is in contact with the racket for 0.020 s, with
what average force did Venus hit the ball?
8. How much impulse would a rock have if it impacted the
ground for .0274 seconds with a force of 125N?
9. A force of 500N is applied for .002 seconds to a baseball
that weighs .031 kg. What is the change in velocity?
10. What is the resultant force on a 70 kg object that is
pushed from 3 m/s to 24 m/s in 5 seconds?
Part 2: Conservation of Momentum and Collisions
1. A 25 kg child runs across a store at 6.0 m/s and jumps onto a 35
kg shopping cart initially at rest. At what speed will the
shopping cart and the child move together across the store
assuming negligible friction?
2. Tom, his twin brother Tim, and the bumper car have a combined
mass of 270.0 kg. They are zooming along at 16 m/s. They
bump Melinda’s car, which is sitting still. Melinda and her car
have a mass of 175.0 kg. After the elastic collision, the twins
continue ahead with a speed of 5.12 m/s. How fast is Melinda’s
car bumped across the floor?
3. Charlotte, a 68.0 kg diver, shoots a 3.0 kg spear with a
speed of 25 m/s at a fish that darts quickly away
without getting hit. If Charlotte starts at rest, how fast
does she move backwards when the spear is shot?
4. Matt throws a .25 kg piece of clay at a .50 kg target which was at
rest. The piece of clay sticks and the combined clay/target flies
backwards at 5 m/s. How fast did Matt throw the piece of clay?
5. If a 800 kg sports car is moving at 13.0 m/s when a 1200 kg pickup
truck rear-ends the car with a velocity of 25.0 m/s, with what
velocity are the combined vehicles moving after the collision if their
bumpers lock together?
6. Jeanne rolls a 7.0 kg bowling ball forward down the alley
at 9.0 m/s to hit a 2.0 kg pin. When hit the pin travels
forward at 14.0 m/s. What is the new velocity of the
7. Running at 2.0 m/s, Bruce, the 45 kg quarterback, collides with Biff,
the 90 kg tackle, who is traveling at 7.0 m/s in the other direction.
Upon collision, Biff continues to travel forward at 1.0 m/s. How
fast is Bruce knocked backwards?