STUDY GUIDE PART I- UNIT 12- DIGESTIVE SYSTEM
1. Contrast the following characteristics of the organs of the alimentary canal
(GI tract) and the accessory digestive organs:
2. What part of the digestive system is considered “outside” the body?
3. MATCHING: Write the letter of the description in front of the appropriate
process. Some terms will have more than answer
a. defecation b. propulsion c. mechanical digestion
d. absorption e. chemical digestion f. ingestion
1. __________ taking food into the GI tract thorugh the mouth
2. __________ moves food through the alimentary canal
3. __________ chewing, churning or mixing food
4. __________ large food molecules are broken down into monomers so they can
go through the intestine wall
5. __________ the transport of monomers, vitamins, minerals, water through the
intestine wall to lymph or blood
6. __________ elimination of undigested materials.
7. __________ enzymes are used to perform this task
8. __________ peristalsis belongs to this task
9. __________ mucosal cells make this process happen
4. Describe the process of propulsion of food in the GI tract.
5. Contrast chemical and mechanical digestion. Give 2 examples of each.
6. Define segmentation. How does this apply to the digestive system?
7. What two digestive organs are involved in absorption? What are they absorbing?
8. Define peritoneum-
Contrast visceral and parietal peritoneum.
Where is the peritoneum cavity?
9. What is the function of mesentery?
10. Contrast the greater and lesser omentum.
11. Define peritonitis.
12. Alimentary Canal Tunics: define the following
b. Mucosa- (name and describe the 3 sublayers)
e. Serosa (visceral peritoneum)-