Cooperative Learning Principles and Practices:
Why Should We Learn About Them?
• What trend(s) in the workplace point to the need for IDers/Pters to
know about cooperative learning?
• What trends in classroom and training setting point to the need for
IDers/PTers to know about cooperative learning?
- emphasis on learner-centered instruction*
- emphasis on social interaction/ social negotiation*
- emphasis on learning from peers*
* these notions are linked to several other trends, including
constructivism and distance learning
• Use questions 1 - 7 on the first handout to guide
your discussion of cooperative learning principles.
• Record (on the handout) your group’s answers to
questions 1 - 7
- as noted on the handout, each section of the
handout should be filled-in by a different group
Principles of Cooperative Learning
(Johnson & Johnson)
• Positive interdependence: The success of the group is dependent on
performance of each group member.
• Face-to-face promotive interaction: Group members encourage and
facilitate each other's efforts to achieve group's goals.
• Individual accountability: The performance of each group member
• is assessed, and each member is held responsible for contributing to
• Social skills: Group members must use appropriate interpersonal and
social skills (e.g., getting along with others, building trust, etc.).
• Group processing: Group reflects upon processes they employ and
works toward improving them.
Cooperative Learning Principles and Practices
Johnson & Our 1998 Study: 21 Teachers
Johnson Class Slavin who use coop. learning
Interdependence X 4 (of 4) X 95%
Interaction X 3 86%
Accountability X 3 X 24%
Skills X 4 86%
Processing X 3 33%
Using Performance Technology and Cooperative
Learning to Help Solve a Performance Problem
• Select 3 - 5 performance technology interventions
that could be used to help solve this problem
• Select 2 -3 cooperative learning principles
and discuss how they could be used to
help solve this problem
- these may be used in conjunction with, or
independent of, the PT interventions
• On poster paper:
- list the PT interventions and cooperative
learning principles your group would employ
Solutions actually employed by MK Corp
teambuilding (team of engineers prepares
and delivers the presentation)
- involves positive interdependence
and individual accountability
• coaching (by expert in preparation and
delivery of presentations)
• modeling (via videotapes of winning presentations
and accompanying documents)
• job aids to assist proposal preparation process
• feedback (with specific criteria) on practice and
- via coach
- via other team members (involves
promotive interaction )
- via self-review of videotaped practice presentations
Results of MK Corporation's
Participants felt that new approach was:
- more systematic
- more focused on results
• Clients indicate that presentations were
"some of the best they had ever seen"
• Percentage of contracts received after presentations
went up by 250% (e.g., from 10% to 35%)