Extra Projectile Motion Problems
1. A ski jumper travels down a slope and leaves the ski track moving in the horizontal
direction with a speed of 25 m/s. The landing incline falls off with a slope of 33º.
(a) How long is the ski jumper air borne?
(b) Where does the ski jumper land on the incline?
2. A daredevil decides to jump a canyon of width 10 m. To do so, he drives a motorcycle up
an incline sloped at an angle of 15o. What minimum speed must he have in order to clear
3. Water is leaving a hose at 6.8 m/s. If the target is 2 m away horizontally, what angle
should the water have initially?
4. A 5.0 kg brick lands 10.1 m from the base of a building. If it was given an initial velocity
of 8.6 m/s [61º above the horizontal], how tall is the building?
5. A spear is thrown upward from a cliff 48 m above the ground. Given an initial speed of
24 m/s at an angle of 30º to the horizontal,
(a) How long is the spear in flight?
(b) What is the magnitude and direction of the spear's velocity just before it hits the
6. A basketball is lobbed toward a hoop 3.05 m above the floor. If released 2 m above the
floor 10 m from the basket and at a 45 degree angle, how fast must the basketball be
thrown so that it goes through the hoop?
7. If a ball is kicked with an initial velocity of 25 m/s at an angle of 60° above the ground,
what is the "hang time"?
8. A bullet hit a target 301.5m away. What maximum height above the muzzle did the bullet
reach if it was shot at an angle of 25o to the ground?
9. A projectile was launched 64° above the horizontal, attaining a height of 10 m. What is
the projectile's initial speed?
10. A soccer ball leaves a cliff 20.2 m above the valley floor, at an angle of 10o above the
horizontal. The ball hits the valley floor 3.0 seconds later. What is the initial velocity of
the ball? What maximum height above the cliff did the ball reach?