Bill Arp Elementary
Mrs. Cooper’s Class
Welcome to First
We are going to
filled with exciting
About Mrs. Cooper
•I grew up in Stockbridge, GA.
•I moved to Douglasville in 2006.
•I got married this past summer.
•I have a Bachelor of Science in Education
from the University of West Georgia.
•I have a Master of Arts in Instruction from
Central Michigan University.
One of the most important aspects of
our classroom is following rules.
It is mandatory that we have rules to
promote an orderly and safe
atmosphere for teaching and learning
We will be discussing the classroom
rules during the first week of school.
I will be sending a letter home with
your child discussing the rules and
• The travel folder is primarily used to carry
homework assignments and classroom information.
• Please check this folder EVERY NIGHT! I will be
sending home important information throughout
the year that may require a parent signature.
• The folder should be returned to school EVERY
DAY with completed homework.
• Each pocket is labeled so that you know what
needs to be returned and what can stay at home.
• There will be a place for you to initial each night
indicating that your child has completed the
Homework will be given daily except on
Fridays and holidays. It will be sent
home in the travel folder.
I will send a weekly schedule home so
that you know what to expect for
*Typical week of
• Read story of the week
• CRCT test prep (Spring 2009)
• Handwriting practice (Fall 2008)
• Spelling practice (5-9 words)
• Math practice (could involve
worksheets, counting money, math
• *Homework is meant to be used as practice and review of
previously learned material. It will reflect what is being taught
during the school day and is an indication of your child’s progress.
Completed Work Folder
• All graded work will be sent home on Mondays in a
completed work folder.
• Review graded work with your child and remove
papers from the folder. Please sign and return all
papers that receive a grade of 1.
• Please return the completed work folder the
following day (Tuesday) with your signature on the
sheet stapled to the front of the folder.
Your child will have PE 2-3 times a
week. Please make sure they have
Music and Art
Students will go to music and art
throughout the week.
A final specials schedule
will be sent home weekly.
• We will have two mandatory
conferences during the school
year. Additional conferences may
• If you need to schedule an
additional conference, give me a
call or send an email.
• For your convenience, conferences
may be held over the phone or
• Send ALL money in the
brown pencil bag (located
in the travel folder).
• All money should be
placed in a sealed
envelope indicating the
student’s name and ID #,
and homeroom teacher’s
Breakfast 7:15-7:45 $1.00
Lunch 11:50-12:20 $1.65
*It is the parent’s responsibility to keep up
with the child’s account balance. Contact
Denise Caldwell if you have any questions
concerning lunch money.
• School begins promptly at 8:00.
• Students must be physically in the
room when the bell rings or they will
be marked tardy.
• Absences will require a written
excuse note. Please send all notes in
the brown pencil bag that is located
in the travel folder.
• Check the student handbook for
more attendance information.
What do we learn in 1st
• Each student has a writing portfolio.
Students are graded based on a first
grade writing rubric.
• The rubrics will be sent home so that
you know what level your child is on
and how to work on reaching the next
• I will have conferences with each
student to discuss how to improve
• One way children learn to read is
through writing, so I will do a lot of
whole group writing activities
throughout the year.
We will be
• There will be daily problem solving
activities and a problem solving test
given every week.
• We will be using calendar math
everyday which helps with repetition
of important math concepts.
• There will be timed tests weekly to
assess math facts.
Our Social Studies and Science units
are thematic. Students will have
monthly projects that they will
complete at home to show what they
(my email address will be changing
shortly with my new last name)
• Mrs. Cooper’s Room (770) 651-3285
• Front Office Number (770) 651-3200
• My primary method for communicating with
parents will be through email. Please let me
know if your email address changes.