Computing and Information Systems
Introduction to Information Systems CIS108
Introduction to Assignment
In this course, you have been learning the basic skills required to understand
information systems from the viewpoint of a business professional. This assignment
provides you with the opportunity to exercise abilities
The purpose of this assignment is to give you the opportunity to demonstrate your
understanding of telecommunications networks, hardware and software.
Assignment due Last Monday of Term
Reading for Assignment
You should read at chapters 8 to 10 of the course recommended text before
completing this assignment.
Marks for Assignment
You can obtain a maximum of 10 marks for each of the 10 questions that make up this
1) Hackers and their companion viruses are an increasing problem, especially on
the Internet. What can a digital company do to protect itself from this? Is full
protection feasible? Why or why not?
2) Define a fault-tolerant computer system and a high-availability computer
system. How do they differ? When would each be used?
3) Discuss the issue of security challenges on the Internet. List at least 10 Internet
4) How are encryption, authentication, digital signatures, and digital certificates
each used to ensure security?
5) How can a firm's security policies contribute and relate to the six main
business objectives? Give examples.
6) You have just been hired as a security consultant by MegaMalls Inc., a
national chain of retail malls, to make sure that the security of their
information systems is up to par. Outline the steps you will take to achieve
7) Identify five benefits of customer relationship management systems.
8) Identify two categories of supply chain software. For each category, identify
9) You have been hired by Santori, Inc., a small company that imports and
distributes an Italian sparkling water. The company is interested in what
benefits an enterprise system would bring. Would an enterprise system be
appropriate for this company? What steps would you take in determining this?
10) Identify and briefly describe three major enterprise applications.