Name: __________________________________ Period: ____________________ Date: _____________
Biology Study Guide
Plasma Membrane and Fluid Dynamics
Understand and be able to apply each of these terms.
1. Selective Permeability –
2. Phospholipids –
3. Peripheral Proteins –
4. Integral Proteins –
5. Channel Proteins –
6. Carrier Proteins –
7. Passive Transport –
8. Diffusion –
9. Osmosis –
10. Solutes –
11. Facilitated Diffusion –
12. Active Transport –
13. ATP –
14. Cotransport –
15. Endocytosis –
16. Exocytosis –
Be able to read, analyze, and give complete answers to questions like these.
1. Explain the composition of the plasma membrane according to the fluid mosaic model. Include the role
of phospholipids, proteins, cholesterol, and membrane carbohydrates.
Biology Worksheets and Resources http://www.aurumscience.com Page 1
2. What substance on the surface of cells is used to identify “self” and “foreign” cells?
(Example: Blood types)
3. The cell membrane is selectively permeable. What types of molecules can pass directly through it?
4. List all of the types of cell transport that are considered passive transport.
5. Predict what would happen if a plant cell or animal cell were placed in each of the different tonicity
Hypertonic Isotonic Hypotonic
6. What do plant cells have that prevents them from bursting when placed in distilled water?
7. What is the difference between phagocytosis, pinocytosis, and receptor-mediated endocytosis?