American Statistical Association Survey Research Methods Section
2004 Student Travel Award Application
The Survey Research Methods Section (SRMS) of the American Statistical Association has initiated a Student Travel
Award for students in doctoral programs in statistics, survey methodology, or allied disciplines. Support is offered for
students to attend the Joint Statistical Meetings, to be held this year in Toronto August 8-12. Eligibility is restricted to
students who have not previously attended the Joint Statistical Meetings. In addition, applications must be supported by a
current member of the SRMS section (see below). Up to 8 awards will be granted to cover expenses up to $400. Travel
fellows will also be allowed to attend one of the continuing education short courses offered by SRMS. Beyond taking
advantage of available opportunities at the conference, awardees are asked to provide feedback in the form of a “Travel
Award Report” described below and to attend the Survey Research Methods Section mixer and business meeting (Wed.
August 11) so that SRMS section members can meet them.
City State Zip
Email Address:_________________________________ Home Phone:____________________________
Have you previously attended any professional meeting
on statistics, survey research, or a related discipline? YES NO
If YES, please describe (meeting, location, dates):
Signature of Applicant Date Submitted
Support From Current SRMS Member
As a current SRMS member, I endorse this student’s request.
____________________________ _____________________ _____________________
Signature Printed Name Date
APPLICATION CHECKLIST – ATTACH THE FOLLOWING:
Copy of most recent transcript from your university (unofficial copy okay)
Double-spaced essay, no more than two pages, describing your interest in survey research methods
and your interest in attending the Joint Statistical Meetings
(optional) Letter of support from faculty advisor
Application material may be sent by fax or mail to:
Thomas R. Belin, SRMS Travel Award Committee, UCLA Dept. of Biostatistics, 51-267 Center for Health
Sciences, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1772; fax number 310-206-7361.
Application for 2004 Joint Statistical Meetings must be received by: April 30, 2004
TRAVEL AWARD REPORT
We ask that recipients of this award prepare a short summary report (1-2 pages) addressing the points highlighted below
to provide us with information to evaluate the Travel Award Program.
(1) Please list the titles of the sessions you attended at the conference.
(2) Please list any other conference activities that you found helpful professionally.
(3) How many professional statisticians would you estimate that you met at the conference?
(4) How many other graduate students would you estimate that you met at the conference?
(5) Please comment on how this experience contributed to your graduate education.
(6) Please comment on how this experience contributed to your interest in survey research.
(7) Please offer any other feedback that would allow us to judge the usefulness of the travel fellowship program.