Empowering vulnerable adults and
building more supportive
communities in Swansea.
• Our current model of service is facing an extreme
– Significant reductions in public spending over the next 5
– Aging population and increasing life expectancy.
– Impacts of resource shortages and climate change will
– Communities becoming more fragile.
• We must find a new way to deliver services which are more
empowering for people and sustainable for all of us.
The principles that underpin this
• Personal Control – People are supported to take as much control as
possible of the assistance and services that they use to live their lives in
• Mutual Support – People are supported and encouraged to develop, and
be part of, communities around them within which they are inter-
dependent and mutually supportive of each other’s needs and abilities.
• Shared Communication – People are supported to communicate with
each other, interest groups, and with agencies in an equal and open
fashion, this communication supports collaboration and coordination.
• Valuing Relationships – Individuals who use, support and deliver services
are trusted and valued as builders and contributors.
• Shared Outcomes – Outcomes for services and support are agreed and
reviewed by people who use, support and deliver services. These
outcomes support successful lives, and sustainable services &
How do we see services?
• Currently social services investment
focuses on delivery of assessed services
• These services appear to stand alone.
• They are resource intensive and deliver
services to those assessed as in the
greatest needs. Substantial
• Carers needs are clearly recognised and
supported but their services are seen
from the perspective of how they
contribute to commissioned services.
• This model is resource intensive and
highly vulnerable to cutbacks, resources
reduce but people’s needs do not
But hang on
• This view ignores the reality of where
social support and care comes from in services
• Informal support and relationships in
reality make a much bigger contribution
to well-being in our communities.
• When it is absent or negative it also Substantial
makes a much larger contribution to
feelings or fear, isolation and
• Our current ways of working maintain
an artificial barrier between our work
and the wider community.
• Thus this creates a ‘them and us’ feel
and ultimately people’s expectations
are well beyond what we can meet.
How could we change this?
• This transformation is about
experimenting in how we build more
services and self
‘organic’ interconnected relationships organised
with the : support
– People that we serve complementing
– Communities in which they live.
• We are going to try to exchange the: Substantial
– divisiveness of ‘Them and us’,
– For the inter-connectedness of
‘I and We’.
• We think that together we will be able Investment Moderate
to build: building and
– More cost effective , support.
– Sustainable, and
– Empowering services
Sounds good but practically…..
• Lets start with the assessment
and care management process my plan
• We want a simple process that Seeing
is transformational, how it Budget
but easy for people to use.
• This looks a lot like the going to
In-Control 7 steps, well it is! work on Organising
But with a crucial Living this cycle my
my life support
• The budget follows, not leads
– we want relationships to lead! Getting Organising
my plan my
• More about this latter. agreed money
• We are going to try 2 experiments in
Person Centred Support Planning.
• One with Older adults Making
– Definition Seeing
• One with Younger adults worked
• Both of these experiments will explore: Living my
– More person centred planning life
– Building the plan into a network of
relationships and partnerships my plan my
– Self directed support
– More transparent and efficient costs
Locality and partnership working
• We are also going to try 2 locality experiments
• The Mumbles experiment
• The Gorseinon experiment
• These experiments will bring providers, commissioners, and citizens into
closer relationships of cooperation and partnership, through programmes
Very interesting but
how will this fit together?
• Lets go back to the Open
Care management cycle Evaluation is
directory of local
my plan easier because
Changing services have
‘Best Interest’ and
choose to mix
Domain 1 on
discussion how it
been people to
the Unified worked with people and
stay in touch.
enable us to
takes place to
Assessment their supporters
ensure needs Direct
Framework Co-productive and are based on
bureaucratic payment or
Localities individual and
process Living my shared outcomes.
Informed by my life options
by others Based on a
Use of a RAS
communication system Getting Organising mapping
like system of
needs in ensures
frameworkthe my plan my the persons
makes it much andeasier to money
locality. agreed personal and
share information areabout transparency
shared outcomes and social assets.
success or failure. Funds offer Link to FACS panels
ensures fairness and affordability
Project Management and