What Jo Did Comprehension Questions
Read the following questions and answer them in COMPLETE ANSWERS
in your reading notebook. DO NOT write on this paper—write only in your
Cause and Effect
1. Why do Joanna’s parents hang the basketball rim up so high? (148)
2. Why were the boys “speechless”? (153)
3. Why did “Jo” freeze when she saw her hat lying on the ground? (154)
4. Why is “Jumpin Jo” a good nickname for Joanna? (155)
Read the following sentences and fill in the blank with the correct vocabulary
word. Use the context clues to find the right word. Choose a word from the
box—all words will NOT be used.
speechless fouled jersey rim marveled swatted
1. Jo came out of nowhere and ________________ TJ’s shot sharply into
the next court.
2. Jo’s teammates encouraged her to shoot the ball into the _____________
around the edge of the hoop.
3. Joanna’s parents were amazed and ______________ at how high she
4. The boys were _____________________ and unable to speak when they
saw “Jo” dunk the ball.
1. Noah is on the school basketball team. After the game, he had scored 5
three-point baskets and 4 two-point baskets. How many points did Noah
score in the game?
2. John played basketball for the town recreation league. He scored 3 three-
point baskets. In the second half of the game, he was fouled and sent to
the free throw line four times but only made 3 of the 4 free throw shots.
How many points did he score in the game?
**Hint** Free Throw = 1 point
Three Point Baskets = 3 point
Two Point Baskets = 2 point