Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

DR. T. CLARENCE ROUTLEY The first time I saw Clarence Routley


									(7anad. Med. Ass. .1.                                                                            OBITUARIES     1131
June 1, 1963, vol. 88

          DR. T. CLARENCE ROUTLEY                            and when Dr. Little left the Coast in 1917, Dr. Curtis
          AN APPRECIATION                                    took over as medical officer in charge.
                                                                Closely associated with Gieiifell, Dr. Curtis re-
   The first time I saw Clarence Routley in action was       mained at St. Anthony as surgeon in charge, and for
in 1947 when he was chairing a small committee
charged with organizing the embryo World Medical             many years was responsible for the growth and de-
Association and I was sharing the task of interpreting       velopment of the clinic at St. Anthony, which under
with a French colleague. It became clear within a short      his leadership became a centre for surgery for the
space of time that this grave-voiced Canadian knew           whole of Northern Newfoundland and Labrador.
exactly what needed to be done if a viable association          Guiding the Grenfell Mission through the difficult,
was to be created, and was determined that practical         lean times of the depression, when most of the support
considerations should prevail over philosophy. He            came from the United States, he was greatly re-
listened with great attention to everyone's arguments        sponsible for the close integration of the medical serv-
and then blandly ignored the nonsense and continued          ices of the Grenfell Mission with those of the Depart-
to press for what he believed advisable, until opposition    ment of Health, and the resultant close co-operation
was literally silenced (one European delegate subsided       between the two organizations, which is now taken
into a passive state of frustrated exasperation, ostenta-    for granted.
tiously closing his briefcase, folding his arms and saying      Travelling in the early days by dog team in winter
"It's useless to argue any more," which was about the        and hospital schooner in summer, he became familiar
most accurate contribution he had made).                     and well known in every cove and hamlet of Northern
   I realized then that Clarence Routley was an out-         Newfoundland. In 1934, when Dr. Grenfell became ill,
standing personality-clever, tough, capable and a            he became acting Superintendent of the International
shrewd judge of men. Indeed, I never had reason to           Grenfell Association, and remained as Superintendent
change this opinion during the next 15 years. As a           until 1959, when he became Chairman of the Board
negotiator he was unsurpassed, and I doubt whether           of Directors, a position he held until the time of his
we should be in our present mess politically if he had       death. He was elected a Fellow of the American
been given the task of drafting the peace treaty after       College of Surgeons in 1926, and in 1948 was con-
World War II. His patience was infinite, and he practic-     ferred with the honour of Commander of the British
ally never allowed anything to disturb his equanimity        Empire.
when in conference. Early in our association I learned          His loss will be deeply felt by all the people of
the folly of disagreeing with him in business matters,       Northern Newfoundland and Labrador, to whose
for he had a nasty knack of proving right, even when         service he devoted his life. A keen, skilful surgeon,
at first glance the reasons for his attitude were not        with a great deal of common sense, he always main-
clear. Many an associate must have found his advice          tained the highest standards of medical care and prac-
invaluable, and also his gift for arguing well both sides    tice and insisted on these standards in the Mission
of a question. What a barrister he would have made!          Hospital at St. Anthony and the auxiliary Nursing
   Others have spoken in the pages of this Journal of        Stations.
his human qualities, of his personal charm and of his           One of the great medical pioneers has passed on,
life work. It is therefore unnecessary for me to repeat      and his death is mourned by all those who knew him.
or to echo what they have said. I must however ex-                                                            G.W.T.
press my admiration for the courage with which he
withstood the repeated blows of fate in his last years;
few men could have rallied so well from such a se-           DR. GEORGE Z. MARTOS, aged 63, died of a heart
quence of misfortune. In this I am sure that he was          attack on March 15, 1963, at his home in Toronto. Dr.
sustained and comforted by that most perfect of wives,       Martoz, an obstetrician and gynecologist, practised at
to whom all our sympathies go at this time.                  200 St. Clair Avenue West and was attached to the
                                 STANLEY S. B. GILDER        Toronto East General and St. Michael's Hospitals. He
                  Executive Editor, World Medical Journal    studied medicine in Berlin and graduated in 1926.
                                                             He did his postgraduate work in obstetrics and gyne-
                                                             cology in Berlin under Prof. Dr. Wagner, did research
CHARLES S. CURTIS, C.B.E., M.D., F.A.C.S., 77,               work in bacteriology (Prof. Aschheim) and in pharma-
died at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston,          cology and hygiene (Prof. Holm) and was appointed to
on March 13, 1963, after a brief illness. Dr. Curtis,        the University staff in obstetrics and gynecology at the
Chairman of the Board of Directors of the International      Charit. Hospital, Berlin. In 1935 Dr. Mai-tos went to
Grenfell Association, was a graduate of Harvard Medi-        India, where he became Chief Medical Officer and
cal College, and interned at the Boston Lying-in Hos-        Surgeon for the State of Indore and personal physician
pital, taking his training in obstetrics and gynecology.     to its ruler, the Maharaja of Holkar. Under his guid-
                                                             ance new hospital facilities and modern medical equip-
   He went to the Grenfell Mission in St. Anthony,           ment were provided for the people of the state. He
Newfoundland, as a volunteer doctor in the summer of         endeared himself to the missionaries from the U.S.A.
1915, and stayed on all winter as medical officer, re-       and Canada, whom he assisted with his knowledge
placing Dr. John Mason Little, who was in charge of          and medical help. He was also Chief Surgeon to the
the hospital, and who went out for the winter that           Holkar State Army and received several decorations.
year. Dr. Curtis remained on the staff of the hospital,      Duriiig th. war he was ali Honorary Consultant in
1132   OBITUARIES                                        Canad. Med. Ass. J.
                                                         June 1, 1963, vol. 88

                    Abbey and Nokomis before moving to Regina in 1940.
                    For a number of years, Dr. Rennick was medical officer
                    for Saskatchewan Roughriders Football Club and the
                    Regina Pats Hockey Club.
                       He is survived by his widow, a son and two
                    DR. WILLIAM GORDON RUTHERFORD, 70, died
                    on March 6, 1963. Born in Wheatland, Manitoba, he
                    received his B.A. degree from Manitoba College in
                    1914 and his M.D. degree from the University of Mani-
                    toba in 1917. During both World Wars he served with
                    the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps. He carried
                    on a practice in Winnipeg.
                      Dr. Rutherford is survived by his widow, two sons
                    and two grandchildren.                           R.M.
                    DR. EVANS SHAW, a former resident of Sydney,
                    N.S., died recently at his home in Hamilton, Bermuda,
                    at the age of 53. Before taking up residence in Ber-
                    muda 25 years ago, he was a member of the staff of
                    King Edward VII Memorial Hospital in Hamilton, Ont.
                    Dr. Shaw and his family returned each year to Nova
                    Scotia for their holidays and it was his intention to
                    return to Clementsport, where he had recently bought
                    a house, and continue his practice there.
                       He is survived by his widow, three sons and two
                    COLONEL CARL GRAHAM WOOD, O.B.E., C.D.,
                    M.D., 52, died suddenly at his home in Winnipeg on
                    February 7 and was buried with full military honours
                    from St. George's Church. Born in Norwood, Man., he
                    graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, University of
                    Manitoba, in 1935 and joined the R.C.A.M.C. He saw
                    service in World War II in Great Britain and North-
                    western Europe. Returning to Canada in 1946, he was
                    posted to Army Headquarters in Ottawa, later going
                    to Winnipeg as Command Medical Officer Prairie
                    Command, from which appointment he retired with the
                    rank of Colonel. During this period he was responsible
                    for 'the planning of evacuation in time of disaster. He
                    was then appointed Director of the Hospital Services
                    Division of the Manitoba Hospital Commission, a post
                    which he held at the time of his death. He was a
                    member of the St. John's Ambulance Corps and
                    recipient of the Venerable Order of St. John of
                       Besides his widow he is survived by his mother
                    and a brother, both of Vancouver, and an uncle, Dr.
                    Gordon Graham of Winnipeg.
                            AN APPRECIATION
                       Though in later years his health was poor, Carl
                    Wood was a brilliant success as Command Medical
                    Officer Prairie Command. To a sunny disposition he
                    added a quick grasp of a situation as it arose and a
                    thoroughness in execution. Among other things he
                    arranged a roster of medical men who were flown to
                    Fort Churchill during the winter months to aid the
                    doctors and nurses in the hospital there. He was a
                    photographer of rare talent. Those who saw his studies
                    of dancing girls will never forget the impression of
                    fluid grace which they portrayed through his artistry.
                                                                       B .M.

To top