Position: Dishwasher Prepared: JUNE 25, 2007
PLACE OF WORK: Dishwashing/Compactor/Dumpster areas, Kitchen lines and pantries.
JOB OVERVIEW: Adhere to hotel specifications and standards in operating the dishwashing
machine to wash designated restaurant and kitchen wares, clean and maintain
equipment and dishwashing/kitchen/cafeteria/compactor/storage areas. Assist
in washing pots, pans and other kitchen utensils/equipment. Complete other
special cleaning projects as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Executive Steward and/or Shift Supervisor.
Internal: Stewarding Staff, Kitchen Staff, Employee Dining Room Staff, Food and
Beverage Staff, Storeroom Staff, Engineering and Housekeeping.
External: Dishwashing Machine Service personnel, Chemical Supply representative.
SPECIFICATIONS: Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or
abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the
abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or
significant risk to the health and safety of themselves, other employees or
1) Ability to satisfactorily communicate in job-related English.
2) Ability to count.
1) High school graduate or equivalent vocational training.
2) Previous experience as hotel/restaurant dishwasher or in janitorial/cleaning
3) Familiarity with proper sanitation regulations.
4) Certification in sanitation.
5) Knowledge of proper chemical handling.
6) Ability to communicate in a second language, preferably _______.
1) Ability to perform duties with attention to details, speed, accuracy, follow-
through and cooperativeness.
2) Ability to follow directions.
3) Ability to adapt to meet priority changes of work flow or requirements.
4) Ability to operate designated machinery.
5) Ability to remain extremely alert while operating machinery.
6) Ability to exert physical effort in transporting equipment and wares.
7) Ability to withstand high temperatures, moisture and noise levels in work
8) Ability to endure abundant physical movements in cleaning various work
fa65154b-dbea-4bec-9ffc-d27d75fda430.doc Page 1 of 3
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1) Use correct cleaning chemicals for designated items, according to OSHA regulations and hotel
2) Set up and organize work station with designated supplies and equipment; report shortages to
supervisor. Replenish as needed throughout the shift.
3) Check the working condition of dishwashing machine in accordance with specifications; rectify
4) Fill the dishwashing machine with specified amounts of designated chemicals. Ensure the
temperature level of each cycle is set to standard.
5) Organize the breakdown area for drop off of dirty wares according to department standards.
6) Remove excess food, debris and film from soiled wares before placing them in the
7) Position wares in designated racks correctly and send through dishwashing machine only
8) Clean only designated wares in the dishwashing machine.
9) Remove washed wares from dishwashing machine and allow to air dry.
10) Inspect the cleanliness and condition of all washed wares and rewash wares not meeting
11) Sort, stack and store cleaned wares in designated areas.
12) Handle all wares carefully to prevent breakage and loss.
13) Change dishwashing machine water/filters and refill as specified to ensure all wares are
14) Monitor usage of dishwashing machine and chemicals to maximize consumption of water and
15) Maintain cleanliness and working condition of garbage disposal.
16) Maintain cleanliness and organization of work areas throughout shift.
17) Breakdown and clean dishwashing machine and work areas following specifications in
accordance with department standards.
18) Clean and sanitize pots, pans, utensils and other kitchen equipment in accordance to
19) Stock kitchen lines with designated cleaned wares, utensils and equipment.
20) Clean spills in kitchen and work areas immediately.
21) Use designated chemicals, supplies and equipment to clean various floor surfaces (brooms,
mops, stripper, buffer, etc.).
22) Transport mats to the loading dock and clean according to standards.
23) Maintain cleanliness and organization of supply/storage closets; remove trash, wipe down
shelves/counters; clean floors; remove items which do not belong and place in correct areas.
24) Transport garbage containers from kitchen and work areas to dumpster; empty and clean
according to standards. Adheres to recycling regulations.
25) Clean garbage compactor and area as assigned.
26) Report any damages, maintenance problems or safety hazards to the supervisor.
27) Adhere to all Health Department, sanitation and safety regulations as required by the hotel.
28) Organize and restock work areas for next shift as specified in departmental standards.
29) Successful completion of the training/certification process.
1) Clean refrigerators/freezers, service hallways, service elevators and other items as assigned.
2) Work with chemical and machine repair personnel to repair machine, improve quality or
standards, increase productivity or capacity of machine.
3) Complete job functions of other departmental positions as assigned.
4) Assist in plating up banquet meals.
5) Assist in inventories as assigned.
fa65154b-dbea-4bec-9ffc-d27d75fda430.doc Page 2 of 3
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the
performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the
employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties
assigned by their supervisor.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will"
fa65154b-dbea-4bec-9ffc-d27d75fda430.doc Page 3 of 3