INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COUNSELOR APPLICATION
Please return to Christy Hall-Holt, International Student Advisor, by Friday, February 17,
2012. International Student Counselor position offers will be announced by March 16, 2012.
Name: Res Hall for 2012-13 (if known):
Class of 20____
Major(s): Cell/Mobile Phone:
1. Describe any (paid or volunteer) position you have held in which your duties involved
helping people (either from your country or other countries) as a leader, guide, advisor,
counselor, or teacher.
2. List your three most recent jobs.
3. Please list any travel experiences you have had outside your own country (please say when,
where and why you traveled).
4. List any (formal or informal) training or education you have had related to inter- or cross-
5. What languages do you speak? To what extent can you use those languages?
6. In what campus activities and/or organizations do you actively participate?
7. Comment on a couple of specific issues or concerns facing international students during their
stay at St. Olaf. If needed, would you be willing to lead a discussion of any of these topics
during orientation or the upcoming year.
8. Comment on why you would be a good candidate for a position as International Student
Counselor. In particular, how would you help an international student experiencing cross-
cultural adjustment problems to St. Olaf and the U.S.?
9. List the reference that you have asked to write a letter on your behalf. (We prefer that s/he be
a member of the St. Olaf faculty or staff, such as dean, counselor, college pastor, area
coordinator, or a current or former Student Life staff member, such as residence assistant or
Applicant Signature: Date:
RECOMMENDATION FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COUNSELOR
Applicant Name: _________________________________
Please return to Christy Hall-Holt, International Student Advisor, Buntrock Commons
109, or by campus mail by Friday, February 24, 2012.
The St. Olaf Community now includes more than 130 international students. International
Student Counselors (ISCs) are an integral part of creating an environment in which new
international students can flourish. The ISCs are volunteer leaders. Their duties include:
welcoming students to St. Olaf and the United States; introducing students to U.S. college life;
counseling peers and making referrals to students needing the help of the Health Center,
Counseling Center, Academic Support Center, etc.; planning social activities; and serving as role
models. The position requires cross-cultural communication skills and sensitivity, time-
management skills, good listening skills, assertiveness, friendliness, and the ability to work as a
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with thoughtful comments, which are an important
part of our selection process. In particular, please note any inter- or cross-cultural settings in
which you have observed the applicant, e.g., field or program director for off-campus program. If
you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
_____ Strongly Recommend
_____ Recommend with Reservation
_____ Do Not Recommend
Relationship to Applicant: