Can PREVENT pregnancy
after unprotected sex.
Don’t wait until your period is late.
Where Can I Get Emergency Birth
• At a pharmacy, family planning clinic,
or county health department.
• Visit www.wvfree.org for a list of
pharmacies that carry emergency
birth control pills.
• If you’re under age 17 you’ll need a
prescription from your doctor, family
planning clinic, school health center,
What Is Emergency Birth Control?
health department clinic or urgent
• A concentrated dose of the same care center.
hormone found in regular birth control.
• Can safely and effectively prevent What Else Should I Know About
pregnancy if taken within 5 days Emergency Birth Control Pills?
after having sex, but the sooner
the better! • It’s a backup to your regular method
of birth control.
• Known as the “morning after pill” or
“Plan B®.” • It doesn’t protect against sexually
transmitted infections (STIs),
• Not the abortion pill. including HIV.
• Won’t work if you’re already pregnant. • It won’t harm an
When Do I Use Emergency Birth • Even if you’ve
Control Pills? used emergency
• Within 5 days after having unprotected birth control, get
sex, but the sooner the better! a pregnancy test if
your period is over
• If you didn’t use any birth control.
a week late.
• If the condom broke.
• For information
• If you missed 2 or more birth control pills about where
or you started your pack late. you can get
• If your diaphragm slipped. emergency birth
control at low or
• If you missed your birth control shot.
no cost, visit
• If you were forced to have sex. www.wvfree.org.
The Sooner, The Better.
you take the emergency birth control,
your chance to prevent pregnancy.
The clock is ticking…
P.O. Box 11042
Charleston, WV 25339
This brochure has been made possible with the support of Advocates for Youth.